World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Racecourse-class minesweeper

Article Id: WHEBN0007678475
Reproduction Date:

Title: Racecourse-class minesweeper  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: HMS Cheltenham, HMS Chelmsford, Iron Duke-class battleship, Flower-class sloop, HMS Swift (1907)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Racecourse-class minesweeper

HMS Plumpton
Class overview
Name: Racecourse class
Operators:  Royal Navy
Succeeded by: Halcyon class
Built: 1916 & 1918
Completed:
  • 24 Racecourse class
  • 8 Improved Racecourse class
General characteristics
Displacement:
  • Racecourse-class: 810 long tons (823 t)
  • Improved-class: 820 long tons (833 t)
Length: 235 ft (72 m)
Beam:
  • Racecourse-class: 29 ft (8.8 m)
  • Improved-class: 29 ft 3 in (8.92 m)
  • 58 ft (18 m) at the paddles (both types)
Draught: 6.75–7 ft (2.06–2.13 m)
Propulsion: Inclined compound. Cylindrical return tube. 1,400 hp (1,000 kW).
Speed: 15 knots (17 mph; 28 km/h)
Range: 156 tons coal
Complement: 50-52 men
Armament:
  • Racecourse-class:
  • 2 × 12-pounder guns
  • Improved-class:
  • 1 × 12-pounder gun
  • 1 × 3-inch AA gun
For the class of ships sometimes known as the "Racehorse" class see 24 class sloop

The Racecourse-class minesweepers were 32 ships delivered to the Royal Navy during the First World War. They were built to two related designs as paddlewheel coastal minesweeping sloops under the Emergency War Programme. The vessels were reasonable sea-boats, but lost speed badly in a seaway when the paddle boxes tended to become choked with water. The class is also widely referred to as the Ascot class and Improved Ascot class.

Initial design

The original design was by the Ailsa Shipbuilding Company. The ships were completed between April and October 1916. Launch dates are shown below.

On this type the foremast is stepped before the fore bridges and have derricks abeam of the second funnel.

Improved Racecourse type

These paddle minesweepers were designed by the Admiralty, adapted from the Ailsa Company design for the first type. They were completed between January and June 1918. All were built under the Emergency War Programme.

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.