World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

RPSGB Fee Increase 2007

Article Id: WHEBN0013836008
Reproduction Date:

Title: RPSGB Fee Increase 2007  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

RPSGB Fee Increase 2007

The Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain (RPSGB) was formerly the statutory regulatory and professional body for pharmacists and pharmacy technicians in England, Scotland and Wales. In September 2010, the regulatory powers of the Society were transferred to the newly formed General Pharmaceutical Council (GPhC), while the RPSGB retained its professional leadership role; however its name was changed to Royal Pharmaceutical Society (RPS) and the "Great Britain" part of the name was dropped for day-to-day purposes.

Statutory role

Before the establishment of the GPhC and the transfer of regulatory power, the primary objectives of the RPSGB was to lead, regulate, develop and promote the pharmaceutical profession. All pharmacists in Great Britain had to be registered with the Society in order to practice, and the Society was unusual amongst healthcare regulators that it had its own inspectorate. To become a member of the Society an individual usually had to complete a MPharm or (if graduating before 2000) a BPharm or BSc (pharmacy) degree, 52 weeks of pre-registration training and pass a registration examination. This gave them the right to use the post-nominal letters MRPharmS (Member of the Royal Pharmaceutical Society) and to practice as pharmacist in Great Britain. Fellowships (FRPharmS) were also awarded for pharmacists with long standing and outstanding commitment to the profession. The register of pharmacists is now held by the GPhC, and it is this body which now controls registration and fitness to practice.

History

The Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain was founded on April 15, 1841 by William Allen FRS, Jacob Bell, Daniel Hanbury, John Bell, Andrew Ure and other London chemists and druggists, at a meeting in the Crown and Anchor Tavern, Strand, London. William Allen was its first President, and the society quickly took premises at 17 Bloomsbury Square, London where a School of Pharmacy was established in which botany and materia medica were an important part of the students’ curriculum. In 1843, Queen Victoria granted the Society its Royal Charter. In 1988, Queen Elizabeth II agreed that the title "Royal" should be granted to the society.

Publishing

The RPSGB operates two publishing divisions, formerly called RPS Publishing;-

  • Pharmaceutical Press which published textbooks on a wide range of topics in pharmacy and pharmaceutical sciences, as well as the established Major Reference Works Martindale: The Complete Drug Reference, the British National Formulary and Stockley's Drugs Interactions
  • PJ Publications, which published the weekly professional journal The Pharmaceutical Journal, the monthly Clinical Pharmacist (previously Hospital Pharmacist) and the Registered Technician (as a supplement to the Pharmaceutical Journal).

Royal Pharmaceutical Society Museum

The RPSGB had a museum collection since 1842, which continues to be managed by the RPS today. The museum collected authentic and adulterated samples of crude drugs to demonstrate to students the difference between the two. The collection was used by students as well as researchers, importers, practitioners and manufacturers. The exhibits cover all aspects of British pharmacy history, and include:

  • Traditional dispensing equipment.
  • Drug storage containers.
  • Fine "Lambeth delftware" dating from the 17th and 18th centuries.
  • Proprietary (brand name) medicines dating from the 18th century to the present day.
  • Bronze mortars.
  • Medical caricatures.
  • A photo archive.

The RPS has always had a close relationship with the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. In 1983 they donated over 10,000 historic specimens of materia medica, including crude drugs, herbarium sheets and slides to Kew. This material is now housed in the Economic Botany Collection (EBC) at Kew.[1]

See also

References

External links

  • Official site

Coordinates: 51°29′40″N 0°07′09″W / 51.4945°N 0.1192°W / 51.4945; -0.1192

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.