World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Breastwork monitor

Article Id: WHEBN0005521893
Reproduction Date:

Title: Breastwork monitor  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Monitor (warship), Pre-dreadnought battleship, Monitor classes, Cerberus-class monitor, Devastation-class ironclad
Collection: Monitor Classes, Ship Types
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Breastwork monitor

Stern view of HMVS Cerberus at Williamstown, Victoria, Australia, in 1871. Note the low freeboard.

A breastwork monitor was a type of ship originated by Sir Edward Reed, the Chief Constructor of the Royal Navy between 1863 and 1870. The term "monitor" was directly derived from the American ship of that name, the USS Monitor designed by John Ericsson which served in the American Civil War. The American ships were very stable, and difficult to damage by gunfire, because of their very low freeboard. This, however, caused them to behave, some said, as a "half-tide rock", with the ever present risk of being swamped in a sea should water gain access to the interior through hatches, turret bases or other openings in the deck.

Reed proposed to overcome this risk by the addition of an armoured breastwork. This was an armoured superstructure of moderate height (7 feet (2.1 m) in HMVS Cerberus), centrally placed on the ship and containing within its armoured circumference the gun turrets, bridge, funnels and all other upper deck appurtenances needed to operate the ship. The presence of this breastwork allowed the ship to operate without fear of being flooded by waves breaking over the deck, and allowed the main armament to be positioned at a greater height than in the American monitors, gaining thereby greater command and range, while preserving the defensive advantage of low freeboard.

Reed's concept was copied by other designers and breastwork monitors served in the French and Imperial Russian Navies, among others.

See also

External links

  • HMVS Cerberus website
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.