World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

11th Parachute Brigade

 

11th Parachute Brigade

11e Brigade Parachutiste

Active 1999-
Country France
Branch French Army
Type Airborne Infantry
Size 8,500 paratroopers
Part of Commandement de la force d'action terrestre
Garrison/HQ Balma
Commanders
Current
commander
Jean-Pierre Bosser
Insignia
Badge of the 11th Parachute Brigade worn on Maroon Berets. This badge is also worn by French Foreign Legion Paratroopers on Foreign Legion Berets.
Abbreviation 11 BP

The 11th Parachute Brigade (French: 11e Brigade Parachutiste, 11e BP) is an airborne unit. It contains most of the parachute units in the French army.

The brigade numbers around 8,500 personnel and includes eight regiments. It is under command of a général de brigade (Brigadier General). French paratroopers wear a red beret, except for the 2e REP who wears the French Foreign Legion Beret (light green).

History

The French Army created two parachute divisions in 1956, the 10th parachute division (10e Division Parachutiste, 10e DP) under the command of General Jacques Massu and the 25th Parachute Division (25e Division Parachutiste, 25e DP) under the command of General Sauvagnac. The 10e DP formed from a looser 1955-formed previous Groupement Parachutiste d'Intervention, the 25e DP was established from the 25th Airportable Division which had been previously stationed in Provence.[1]

In the aftermath of the Algiers putsch, both formations were disbanded and their regiments merged into the Light Intervention Division (Division Légère d'Intervention). It became the 11th Parachute Division (11e Division Parachutiste, 11e DP) in 1971.

In the aftermath of the Cold War, the French Army reorganised and the 11e DP became the 11th Parachute Brigade in 1999.

Organisation

It also includes the Commando Parachute Group, composed of members of the various regiments.

Sources and See also

  • (French) BP official page on the French Ministry of Defence
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.