World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Sirius (AK-15)

Article Id: WHEBN0011823586
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Sirius (AK-15)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: John S. McCain, Sr.
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Sirius (AK-15)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Sirius.
Career
Name: USS Sirius
Builder: American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania
Laid down: 1918
Launched: 1919
Acquired: 10 December 1921
Commissioned: 20 January 1922
Decommissioned: 26 April 1946
Struck: 5 June 1946
Fate: Sold for scrap, 29 September 1947
General characteristics
Class & type: Sirius-class cargo ship
Displacement: 4,070 long tons (4,135 t) light
Length: 401 ft (122 m)
Beam: 54 ft 2 in (16.51 m)
Draft: 9 ft 8 in (2.95 m)
Propulsion: Geared turbine engine, single screw, 2,500 shp (1,864 kW)
Speed: 11.5 knots (21.3 km/h; 13.2 mph)
Complement: 189 officers and enlisted
Armament: • 2 × single 5"/38 caliber guns
• 4 × single 3"/50 caliber guns
• 8 × 20 mm AA guns

USS Sirius (AK-15), was a cargo ship of the United States Navy. She was built in 1918 and 1919 by the American International Shipbuilding Corp., Hog Island, Pennsylvania as SS Saluda . She was acquired from the War Shipping Board on 10 December 1921 and commissioned on 20 January 1922.

Service history

Operations, 1922–1941

Sirius was assigned to the Naval Transportation Service carrying cargo and passengers in support of fleet units and bases. For many years, Sirius operated along the coasts of the United States. She operated on the east coast as far north as Boston, Massachusetts, and reached many ports in the Caribbean. Upon moving to the west coast, she operated from San Diego, California, to Bremerton, Washington. During 1929, 1930, and 1932, Sirius made numerous trips to and from Alaska with sealskins as her principal cargo. In 1934, she was attached to the Aleutian Island Survey Expedition and made cruises to many of the islands of Alaska, charting their waters as she went.

Sirius continued her resupply operations to various United States naval bases and fleets until 1937 when she began making runs to Midway Island. Her scope of operations was increased in 1941 to include voyages to Wake Island. She was in San Francisco, California, when war with Japan was begun, and she was fitted out with guns.

World War II, 1942–1945

In early 1942, Sirius was attached to the United States Pacific Fleet and left San Pedro, California, on 1 March, with a convoy for Pearl Harbor. From 1942 until 1944, she maintained a schedule of operating from Pearl Harbor to Johnston Island, Midway Island, San Francisco, Christmas Island, Canton Island, and Baker Island. The most noteworthy event of this period was when she transported 30 Imperial Japanese Navy prisoners from Midway to Pearl Harbor in June 1942. In July 1944, the Marshall Islands were added to her list of resupply ports as well as Guam and Saipan.

Sirius returned to San Francisco on 20 November 1944 for an overhaul, departing that port on 12 February 1945 for Pearl Harbor. She continued her previous port calls until September when she was routed to Seeadler Harbor, Manus Island, Admiralty Islands, for the first time. She departed from there for San Pedro Bay, Leyte Gulf, Philippine Islands. The cargo ship operated in the Philippine Islands from 29 September until 2 December when she sailed for San Francisco, arriving there on 26 December 1945.

Decommissioning and sale

On 5 January 1946, Sirius began preparing for decommissioning by removing her cargo, guns, etc.; and, on 27 March, she moved to the Pacific Bridge Company Dock in Oakland, California. Sirius decommissioned on 26 April 1946; was struck from the Navy List on 5 June; transferred to the Maritime Commission on 1 July 1946; and sold to the Kaiser Co., on 29 September 1947, for scrap.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.

External links

  • Photo gallery of USS Sirius at NavSource Naval History


Template:AIS Ships

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.