USS Algorma (ATA-212)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Algorma.
Career (USA)
Builder: Gulfport Boiler and Welding Works, Port Arthur, TX
Laid down: 3 February 1945
Launched: 20 March 1945
Commissioned: 21 May 1945
Decommissioned: 20 December 1946
Struck: 1 September 1962
Fate: Sold for commercial service 13 April 1976
General characteristics
Class & type:
Displacement: 534 t.(lt) 835 t.(fl)
Length: 143 ft (44 m)
Beam: 33 ft (10 m)
Draft: 13 ft (4.0 m)
Propulsion: diesel-electric engines, single screw
Speed: 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph)
Complement: 45
Armament: one single 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount
two twin 20mm AA gun mounts

USS Algorma was originally projected as ATR-139, the vessel was redesignated ATA-212 on 15 May 1944; her keel was laid down on 3 February 1945, at Port Arthur, Texas, by the Gulfport Boiler & Welding Works; launched on 20 March 1945; and commissioned on 21 May 1945.

From June 1945 through March 1946, ATA-212 served as a towing vessel at Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. She sailed for the United States on 18 March; reached San Diego, California., on 31 March; and operated in the San Diego area until 13 May. On that day, the tug sailed for Astoria, Oregon. Upon her arrival on the 17th, she began preparations for inactivation. On 20 December 1946, the ship was decommissioned and berthed in the Columbia River.

She remained inactive for almost 30 years, although several administrative changes affected her status. She was named Algorma on 16 July 1948 and was so known for the next 14 years. On 1 September 1962, her name was struck from the Navy list, and she was placed in the custody of the Maritime Administration. Berthed at Astoria, Oreg., until the spring of 1971, the tug was then towed from Astoria to the berthing facility at Suisun Bay, California. She remained there until sold to Mr. John S. Latsis in April 1976.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive USS Algorma (ATA-212)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.