World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Theosophical Society Pasadena

Article Id: WHEBN0000200727
Reproduction Date:

Title: Theosophical Society Pasadena  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Theosophy, Point Loma, San Diego, Theosophical Society in America, Henry Steel Olcott, Theosophical Society in America (Hargrove)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Theosophical Society Pasadena

The Theosophical Society (Pasadena) is a successor organization to the original Theosophical Society founded by Helena Petrovna Blavatsky and others in 1875.

This successor organization, which after several name changes once again now titles itself simply the Theosophical Society, with the clarifying statement, "International Headquarters, Theosophical Society - Adyar.

Judge led the American group for about a year until his death in 1896, when Katherine Tingley became manager. A group of roughly 200 members led by Ernest Temple Hargrove disputed Tingley's leadership, seceded, and formed a rival faction. Tingley later moved her Society's headquarters from New York City to Point Loma, California. Max Heindel was vice president during 1904 and 1905. Later managers include Gottfried de Purucker, 1929–42; Grace Knoche and currently Randell Grubb.

See also

External reference and links

  • Greenwalt, Emmett A. (1978). California Utopia: Point Loma, 1897 to 1942. San Diego: Point Loma Publications. ISBN 0-913004-31-6.
  • Theosophical Society (Pasadena)



This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.