World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Statsraad Lehmkuhl

Statsraad Lehmkuhl in Stockholm, Sweden preparing for The Tall Ships' Races in July 2007
History
Germany
Name: Grossherzog Friedrich August
Namesake: Grand Duke Friedrich August of Oldenburg
Builder:
Launched: 1914
In service: 1914-1918
General characteristics
Tonnage: 1516 tons
Length: Sparred Length: 98,00 m; (Length of hull): 84,60 m; (Length of waterline): 73,00 m
Beam: 12,60 m
Height: Max. Height: 48,00 m
Draft: 5.20 m
Propulsion: 22 Sails
Sail plan: Sail area: 2026 m2
Speed: 11 knots (engine) / 17 knots (sails)

The Statsraad Lehmkuhl is a three-masted barque rigged sail training vessel owned and operated by the Statsraad Lehmkuhl Foundation. It is based in Bergen, Norway and contracted out for various purposes, including serving as a school ship for the Royal Norwegian Navy (using RNoN's prefix "KNM", English: "HNoMS").

Line art of the Statsraad Lehmkuhl.

It was built in 1914 as a school training ship for the German merchant marine under the name Grossherzog Friedrich August. After the First World War the ship was taken as a prize by the United Kingdom and in 1921 the ship was bought by former cabinet minister Kristoffer Lehmkuhl (hence the name, which means "Cabinet Minister Lehmkuhl"). With the exception of the Second World War, when she was captured by German troops and called Westwärts, the ship has belonged to Bergens Skoleskib until it was donated to the Foundation in 1978.

In 2000, it was chartered by the German Navy while their Gorch Fock was overhauled.

Sister ships

The three sister ships of Statsraad Lehmkuhl also survive:

See also

External links

  • The Statsraad Lehmkuhl Foundation
  • The Royal Norwegian Navy's homepage of the Statsraad Lehmkuhl. (in Norwegian).
  • Photo Noca 2006 Nordic Cadet Meeting / Statsraad Lehmkuhl in Oulu Finland 3.-6.8.2006
  • An alumni Music Video from Statsraad Lehmkuhl American 'Oceanics School' voyages in 1970-71 and 1972-73
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.