World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sidgwick Avenue

Article Id: WHEBN0023788420
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sidgwick Avenue  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Selwyn College, Cambridge, Ridley Hall, Cambridge, Sidgwick Site, Sedgwick, Sidgwick, Marshall Library of Economics
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sidgwick Avenue

This article is about the street in Cambridge, England. For the street in The Bronx, New York City, see Sedgwick Avenue.

Sidgwick Avenue is located in western Cambridge, England.[1] It links Grange Road to the west with Queen's Road to the east. The road continues northeast into central Cambridge as Silver Street.

At the western end to the north is Selwyn College and to the south is Newnham College. Ridley Hall is a theological college on the south side of Sidgwick Avenue. To the north is the Sidgwick Site of the University of Cambridge.[2] Here can be found Lady Mitchell Hall and the Museum of Classical Archaeology. The Marshall Library of Economics moved to Sidgwick Avenue in the 1960s.

History

The early progress of women at Cambridge University owes much to Henry Sidgwick, a philosophy fellow of Trinity College. In 1871, with Anne Clough, the first Principal of Newnham College, and Eleanor Balfour (Sidgwick's future wife), Sidgwick oversaw the purchase of a house for five female students who wished to attend lectures but did not live near enough to the University to do so. In 1875 the first building was built on Sidgwick Avenue site of Newnham College, now called Old Hall. Sidgwick Avenue is named after Henry and Eleanor Sidgwick.

References

Coordinates: 52°12′01″N 0°06′33″E / 52.2004°N 0.1093°E / 52.2004; 0.1093

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.