World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sentinel-class cruiser

Article Id: WHEBN0014410853
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sentinel-class cruiser  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: List of cruiser classes of the Royal Navy
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sentinel-class cruiser

Class overview
Name: Sentinel
Operators: Royal Navy
Preceded by: Pathfinder class
Succeeded by: Boadicea class
In commission: 1905 - 1923
Completed: Two
General characteristics
Type: scout cruiser
Displacement: 2,880 tons
Length: 360 ft (109.7 m) (p/p)
381 ft (116.1 m) (o/a)
Beam: 40 ft (12.2 m)
Draught: 14 ft (4.27 m)
Propulsion: Two shaft TE engines
17,000 ihp
Speed: 25 knots
Range: Carried 160 tons coal (410 tons max)
Complement: 298
Armament:

As built

As modified 1911/12

Armour: conning tower: 3 inch
deck: 1.5 inch - ⅝ inch

The Sentinel class was a two ship class of scout cruiser serving with the Royal Navy, and consisting of the ships HMS Sentinel and HMS Skirmisher.

History

Sentinel was originally planned to be named Inchkeith, which would have subsequently led to the class being known as the Inchkeith class, but Sentinel was renamed before the start of construction.

They were part of a larger order for eight scout cruisers, split between four dockyards, each of which designed their own ships to match the Admiralty’s specification, which was for a cruiser capable of reaching 25 knots, carrying ten 12 pounder guns, eight 3 pounder guns and two torpedo tubes. The Sentinel class cruisers were built by Vickers Limited at Barrow. The others were the Forward, Pathfinder, Adventure classes. All eight ships were sometimes known as the Sentinel class, as HMS Sentinel was the first to be laid down, first to be launched and first to be completed. They were both laid down in 1903 and completed in 1905.

The class was designed to lead destroyer flotillas, to act as scouts, lead attacks and take on enemy destroyers. But new turbine engined destroyers left them too slow to fulfill the role. The initial armament was quickly upgraded. Two extra 12 pounder quick firing guns were added, and the 3 pounders were upgraded to 6 pounder guns. Finally, in 1911-12, the 12 pounders were replaced by nine QF 4 inch guns. Both ships served during the First World War but were scrapped after the cessation of hostilities.

Ships

References

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.