World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Sami Frashëri High School

Article Id: WHEBN0041615728
Reproduction Date:

Title: Sami Frashëri High School  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Tirana, Education in Pristina, ABA Business Center, Bam (neighborhood), Botanical Gardens of Tirana
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Sami Frashëri High School

Sami Frashëri High School
Location
Prishtinë, Republic of Kosovo
Information
Type Public
Administration Osman Beka. Principal
Enrollment Natural Science Campus
Social Science Campus
Average class size Year 10 - Year 12

Sami Frashëri High School (Albanian: "Gjimnazi Sami Frashëri") is a selective entry gymnasium with two campuses located on the same street in the Qender neighborhood of Prishtinë, Republic of Kosovo. The school is highly regarded for academics. The school is among the oldest in Prishtina and Kosovo that holds the name of writer, philosopher, playwright and prominent figure of the Albanian Renaissance Movement, Sami Frashëri.

History

Founded in the early 1900s as Kosovo's first Albanian language high school.

Pre 1913: As a Turkish Gymnasium

"Sami Frashëri" Gymnasium is the first gymnasium teaching in the Albanian language in Kosovo. The school was established at the end of the 19th century to the beginning of the 20th century, during the Ottoman Empire. Although the majority of students and teachers were Albanian, classes were taught in the Turkish language, because the Ottoman power did not allow Albanian language to be taught.

1913-1941: Prishtina Gymnasium under Serb rule

In 1912, after the First Balkan War, Kosovo was brought under Serbian rule, and the first Gymnasium of Prishtina was opened in 1913, although this time, in the Serbian language. The Serbian Gymnasium in Prishtina was functioning with a few interruptions until 1941. During this period, most of the faculty were Serbs, whereas there was a mixture in ethnic groups among the students, but mostly Serb students. Classes were taught in Serbian. During these hard times, a number of Albanian students were able to finish the Gymnasium and were able to finish university in Belgrade, Zagreb and other countries.

1941-1945: "Sami Frashëri" Gymnasium, General School

In 1941, after Germany and Italy took power over Yugoslavia, Albanians who lived under the Serbian rule, new and better conditions were made for their education. A large part of Kosovo and other Albanian lands, who were under Serbian rule until 1941, joined Albania in an Italian Occupied zone. These places were brought into the jurisdiction of the Albanian government in Tirana. the Ministry of Education, led by Professor Ernest Koliqi, in the Summer of 1941, created a project which sought the expansion of Albanian elementary schools through all Albanian lands, whereas in capital cities, the opening of Albanian high schools.

With this framework, Prishtina opened 1 high school with 2 branches: 1. General (Normal) Branch, similar to the General (Normal) School of Elbasan. 2. Liceale (High School) Branch or Gymnasium.

This mixed school opened with the name "Sami Frashëri" and began functioning in 1941 in the Albanian language and was the first school of its kind in Prishtina and Kosovo

1945-1955: Real Albanian Gymnasium & Real Serbian Gymnasium

From 1945 to 1955, the gymnasium functioned in 2 languages, Albanian, with the name Real Albanian Gymnasium and Serbian, with the name Real Serbian Gymnasium

1955-1990: "Ivo Lola Ribar" Mixed Gymnasium

From 1955, the Gymnasium was established as a mixed gymnasium with the name "Ivo Lola Ribar" Gymnasium. During this period, there was a lot of discrimination against the Albanians, where they were forced to take many classes in the Serbian language. From 1960, the school began giving classes in the Turkish language, whereas from 1978, the school included the reform, Oriented Learning. After the failure of this reform, the school continued as a classical gymnasium, with 2 pathways lasting 4 years.

1989-1999: "Sami Frashëri" Gymnasium

From 1990, Albanian students and teachers were forced removal from the school. The gymnasium was continued in the home-school of Mehmet Aliu, where they established the school as "Sami Frashëri"

1999-2007: After the Kosovo War, "Sami Frashëri" Gymnasium

After the Kosovo War in 1999, the school continued to operate in the original school building, where classes were taught either in the Albanian language or the Turkish language. "Sami Frashëri" Gymnasium can be seen as a very old school with many traditions, that has made a huge contribution to the education of Albanians in Kosovo.

2007 to present: "Sami Frashëri" Gymnasium

The "Sami Frashëri" Gymnasium continues its tradition in many different conditions, but nevertheless the school manages to overcome many different situations as a growing school and among the best gymnasiums in the Balkans.

Today, there are around 107 employees at the school among them, 2 speakers, 1 librarian, 1 secretary, 92 teachers in the Albanian language and 9 teachers in the Turkish language. The school has around 11 maintenance workers.

Curriculum

Sami Frashëri Gymnasium has 2 pathways, Social Sciences (Albanian: "Shkenca Shoqerore") located in the former technical school and Natural Sciences (Albanian: "Shkenca Natyrore") located in the original building. The subjects taught are mathematics (Analysis & Algebra), the native language, one to three foreign languages, history, geography, informatics (computers), the natural sciences (biology, chemistry, physics), history of art, music, philosophy, logic, physical education and the social sciences (sociology, ethics or religious education, psychology, politics and economy).

Notable alumni

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.