World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

SS Sankt Erik

 

SS Sankt Erik

SS Sankt Erik moored outside of the Vasa Museum in 2005. Note the shape of the bow which is designed to ride up over the ice.
History
Name:
  • Isbrytaren II (1915–1959)
  • Sankt Erik (1959–present)
Owner: Stockholms Hamnstyrelse
Port of registry:  Sweden
Builder: Finnboda Shipyard, Stockholm, Sweden
Yard number: 361
Completed: March 1915
Out of service: 1977
Refit: 1958
Status: Museum ship in Stockholm since 1980
Boilers: Four boilers; initially coal-fired, later converted to oil
Engines: Two triple-expansion steam engines;
1,200 ihp (bow) and 2,800 ihp (stern)
Propulsion: Bow and stern propellers
Speed: 11 knots (20 km/h; 13 mph)
Crew: 30

SS Sankt Erik is an icebreaker and museum ship attached to the Vasa Museum in Stockholm, Sweden.

She was launched in 1915 as Isbrytaren II ("Ice breaker II") and was a conventionally-built Baltic icebreaker with a strengthened bow shaped to be lifted up onto the ice to crush it and a forward-facing screw to push water and crushed ice along the side of the hull. She also has heeling tanks which can be filled and emptied with seawater in turn to rock the ship to widen the channel. Her reciprocating steam engines are the most powerful functioning ones in Sweden.

She was the country's first large icebreaker, and was owned and used by the City of Stockholm to keep the channels around it clear of ice. She was also sometimes used outside the Stockholm area by the Swedish government since it had contributed towards her cost.

She was renamed in 1958 during an extensive refit, which saw her converted from coal to oil, the bridge was enclosed to protect the deck crew from the weather, and radar and radio fitted.

References

  • Vasa museum
  • Paper on the restoration of the ship presented at the Third International Conference on the Technical Aspects of the Preservation of Historic Vessels in 1997
  • Isbrytaren IIMiramar Ship Index -

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.