World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Rickmer Rickmers

Rickmer Rickmers and Cap San Diego
History
Germany
Name: Rickmer Rickmers
Launched: August 1896
Owner: Hamburger Reederei Carl Christian Krabbenhöft
Acquired: 1912
Renamed: Max
Notes: Sailed in the saltpeter trade in Chile.
History
United Kingdom
Acquired: 1916
Renamed: Flores
Notes: Seized in the Azores by the Portuguese authorities in 1916. Became war transport for United Kingdom. Returned to Portugal after the war.
History
Portugal
Name: NRP Sagres
Commissioned: 1924
Renamed: 1962
Notes: School ship for the Portuguese Navy. Victory over the Christian Radich in a 1958 sailing regatta.
Name: NRP Santo André
Decommissioned: 1975
Notes: Hulked depot ship until 1983
History
Germany
Owner: Verein Windjammer für Hamburg e.V., Hamburg, Germany
Acquired: 1983
Renamed: Rickmer Rickmers
General characteristics
Class & type: Windjammer
Tons burthen: 1.980 BRT, 3.067 TDW
Beam: 12,20 m
Draft: 6 m
Propulsion: Sails; steam engine; 350 hp Krupp diesel engines installed 1930
Sail plan: Full-rigged ship, 3.500 m2 sail area[1]
Rickmer Rickmers Museum
Rickmer Rickmers is located in Hamburg
Location of the Rickmer Rickmers
Established 1983
Location Hamburg, Germany
Coordinates
Type Museum ship
Website http://www.rickmer-rickmers.de

Rickmer Rickmers is a sailing ship (three masted barque) permanently moored as a museum ship in Hamburg, near the Cap San Diego.

Rickmer Clasen Rickmers, (1807–1886) was a Bremerhaven shipbuilder and Willi Rickmer Rickmers, (1873–1965) led a Soviet-German expedition to the Pamirs in 1928.

The Rickmer Rickmers was built in 1896 by the Rickmers shipyard in Bremerhaven, and was first used on the Hong Kong route carrying rice and bamboo. In 1912 she was bought by Carl Christian Krabbenhöft, renamed Max, and transferred to the Hamburg - Chile route.

In World War I the Max was captured by the Government of Portugal, in Horta (Azores) harbour and loaned to the United Kingdom as a war aid. For the remainder of the war the ship sailed under the Union Jack, as the Flores. After World War I she was returned to the Portuguese Government, becoming a Portuguese Navy training ship and was once more renamed, as NRP Sagres (the second of that name). In 1958, she won the Tall Ships' Race.

In the early 1960s, the Sagres (II) was retired from school ship service when the Portuguese Navy purchased, from Brazil, the school ship Guanabara (originally launched in Germany in 1937 as the Albert Leo Schlageter). In 1962, the former Guanabara was commissioned as school ship with the name Sagres (III). At the same time, the Sagres (II) was renamed Santo André and reclassified as depot ship. The NRP Santo André remained moored at the Lisbon Naval Base, being decommissioned in 1975.

She was purchased in 1983 by an organisation named "Windjammer für Hamburg e.V.", renamed for the last time, back to Rickmer Rickmers, and turned into a floating museum ship.

References

  1. ^ "Museumschiff Rickmer Rickmers". Geschichte. Retrieved Sep 13, 2010. 

External links

  • Museum website in German
  • Pictures of the Rickmer Rickmers in German
  • Interactive Panorama: Rickmer Rickmers in English
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.