World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Pargolovo

Article Id: WHEBN0042014963
Reproduction Date:

Title: Pargolovo  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Vsevolozhsky District, Primorsky District, Saint Petersburg, Levashovo, Saint Petersburg, Vorontsov Palace (Alupka), Saint Petersburg
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Pargolovo

Pargolovo (Парголово) is a Saint Petersburg. Until the late 20th century, it was the city's northern suburb.[1] The name derives from Parkola, a Karelian placename. Population: 15,852 (2010).

Pargolovo was a family seat of the junior line of the Counts Shuvalov, starting with Peter Ivanovich Shuvalov who received the Pargolovo manor from Empress Elizabeth in 1746. His Baroque palace was rebuilt by Stepan Krichinsky (1874-1923) as a Neoclassical villa for the estate's last owner, Count Illarion Ivanovich Vorontsov-Dashkov. A smaller palace, designed by Harald Julius von Bosse, dates from the mid-19th century.[2]

The Shuvalov Park also contains a network of old ponds; the Yellow Dacha, a wooden lodge designed by Maximilian Messmacher for his own family; the Parnassus hill, which used to offer views of the capital's downtown; and the Church of Sts. Peter and Paul, built in the 1840s to a Gothic Revival design by Alexander Brullov.[3] It was at this church that Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov married Nadezhda Purgold in 1872.

Just west of Pargolovo lies the Vasily Vereshchagin (1909), Vladimir Propp (1970), Mikhail Artamonov (1972), Alexander Belov (1978), Sergey Filippov (1990).

References

  1. ^ http://www.encspb.ru/object/2804000610?lc=ru
  2. ^ Иппо Б. Б. Парголово и его окрестности. Л., 1954.
  3. ^ http://www.encspb.ru/object/2803999592?lc=ru

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.