World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Notre-Dame Street

Notre-Dame Street is an historic east-west street located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada. It runs parallel to the Saint Lawrence River, from the eastern tip of the island to Lachine.[1][2] In French, it is known as rue Notre-Dame.

One of the oldest streets in Montreal, Notre-Dame was created in 1672. The gardens of Château Vaudreuil, which had served as the official residence in Montreal of the Governors General of New France from 1723, fronted Notre-Dame. The street's extension in 1821 led to the demolition of Montreal's Citadel. The Bingham house, which became Donegana's Hotel, was also located on Notre-Dame. In the early 1900s, it was the site of the former Dominion Park.

Old Montreal and beyond

In Old Montreal, it is the site of such key structures as Montreal City Hall, Palais de Justice de Montréal, the Quebec Court of Appeal, the Château Ramezay, Notre-Dame Basilica and the Saint-Sulpice Seminary and the Sir George-Étienne Cartier National Historic Site.

Further west, the street is home to the École de technologie supérieure and runs through Montreal's Little Burgundy neighbourhood, home to the English-speaking black community. Joe Beef Restaurant is located on Notre-Dame Street in Little Burgundy.

Funeral of General d'Urban, 1849

The funeral of Lt.-General Sir Benjamin d'Urban passed down Rue Notre Dame in 1849 and was captured in a painting by James Duncan. The funeral was instrumental in allaying bitter feelings and in preventing clashes between troops and the populace following the Burning of the Parliament Buildings in Montreal on April 25, 1849. In her book British Regulars in Montreal, Elinor Senior describes the cortege as follows: "All shops were closed from half-past ten in the morning until one o'clock. Sir James Edward Alexander estimated that 10,000 lined the street as minute guns sounded from Saint Helen's Island to mark the movement of the cortege to the military burying ground on Victoria Road (now Rue Papineau)". The spire of Christ Church can be seen on the left, together with one of the towers of Notre-Dame Basilica in the background. The building with the cupola and pennant at half-mast, in the middleground on the right, is Donegana's Hotel, which was situated at the corner of Notre-Dame and Bonsecours streets. It was destroyed by fire only a few months after the procession, on August 16, 1849.[3]

Planned expressway

There are plans to turn the eastern portion of Notre-Dame into an expressway.[4]

Chemin du Roy

Notre-Dame Street continues off of the Island of Montreal, heading northeast towards Quebec City, and is known as the Chemin du Roy (Route 138).


Coordinates: 45°30′21″N 73°33′22″W / 45.505704°N 73.556004°W / 45.505704; -73.556004

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.