World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Meyers Konversations-Lexikon

Article Id: WHEBN0000267995
Reproduction Date:

Title: Meyers Konversations-Lexikon  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Silk, Convention of Artlenburg, Negroid, Hofmeister (office), Wilhelm Ihne
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Meyers Konversations-Lexikon

Meyers Konversations-Lexikon or Meyers Lexikon was a major encyclopedia in the German language that existed in various editions, and by several titles, from 1839 to 1984, when it merged with the Brockhaus encyclopedia.

Joseph Meyer (1796-1856), who had founded the publishing house Bibliographisches Institut in 1826, intended to issue a universal encyclopaedia meant for a broad public: people having a general knowledge as well as businessmen, technicians and scholars, considering contemporary works like those of Pierer and Brockhaus to be superficial or obsolete.

First edition

Volumes of the 4th Edition (1885).

The first part of das Grosse Conversations-Lexikon für die gebildeten Stände ("Great encyclopaedia for the educated classes") appeared in October 1839. In contrast to its contemporaries, it contained maps and illustrations with the text.

There is no indication of the planned number of volumes or a time limit for this project, but little headway had been made by the otherwise dynamic Meyer. After six years, 14 volumes had appeared, covering only one fifth of the alphabet. Another six years passed before the last (46th) volume was published. Six supplementary volumes finally finished the work in 1855. Ultimately numbering 52 volumes, das Grosse Conversations-Lexikon für die gebildeten Stände was the most comprehensive completed German encyclopedia of the 19th century, also called "der Wunder-Meyer" (The marvellous Meyer). The complete set was reprinted 1858-59.

Later editions

The son of Joseph Meyer, Hermann Julius (1826-1909), published the next edition (which is officially the first), entitled Neues Conversations-Lexikon für alle Stände, 1857–60, that would only count 15 volumes. To avoid a long-time project, subscribers were promised it would be completed within three years, and all volumes appearing later would be given free. Of course, it was finished right on time.

Map of Warsaw from the 4th edition (1888).
Global population from the 4th edition.

The 2nd edition, Neues Konversations-Lexikon, ein Wörterbuch des allgemeinen Wissens, appeared 1861-67; the 3rd edition, now from Leipzig, was issued as Meyers Konversations-Lexikon. Eine Encyklopädie des allgemeinen Wissens 1874-78; both had 15 volumes.

The 4th edition, consisting of 16 volumes, appeared in 1885-90, with 2 supplements of update pages, vol. 17 (1891) and vol. 18 (1892). (Wikimedia Commons has the 4th edition stored as over 16,700 image pages; see External links). The 5th edition had 17 volumes, Meyers Konversations-Lexikon. Ein Nachschlagewerk des allgemeinen Wissens, 1893 to 1897. This edition sold no less than 233,000 sets.

The 6th edition, entitled Meyers Großes Konversations-Lexikon, was published 1902-08. It had 20 volumes, and the largest sale of all Meyer editions, with 240,000 sets. The First World War prevented an even bigger success. There was also the small 1908 edition, Meyers Kleines Konversations-Lexikon.

World Wars and destruction

The 7th and 8th editions were both briefly named Meyers Lexikon. The 7th edition counted only 12 volumes, due to the economic depression of the twenties. It appeared in 1924-1930. It came with a condensed single-volume version known as the "Blitz-Lexikon" (lightning, here in the meaning of fast, quick access, encyclopedia).

The 8th edition (1936–42) remained incomplete due to wartime circumstances: out of 12 planned volumes only volumes number 1 through 9 plus the atlas volume number 12 could be issued. Due to its brown binding in addition to the fact that it was filtered through the National Socialist censorship it has come to be known as "der braune Meyer" ("The brown Meyer"), as brown became the colour associated with the Nazis (cf. brownshirts).

The buildings of the company were completely destroyed by the bombing raids on Leipzig in 1943/44 and the company itself expropriated in 1946 without compensation. In 1953 the place of business was moved to Mannheim in Western Germany (Bibliographisches Institut AG); in Leipzig remained the VEB Bibliographisches Institut.

9th edition and Neues Lexikon

The 9th edition, now from Mannheim, entitled Meyers Enzyklopädisches Lexikon in 25 Bänden (in 25 volumes), appeared in 1971-79. Just like the very first, this final Mannheim edition was the most comprehensive German encyclopaedia of the century.

From Leipzig (then in East Germany) came Meyers Neues Lexikon (1961–64, 8 volumes; 2nd edition 1971-78, 18 volumes), embedded in the Marxist ideology.

Merger with Brockhaus

In 1984, the Bibliographisches Institut Mannheim amalgamated with its biggest competitor in books of reference, F.A. Brockhaus of Wiesbaden, in a so-called "Elefantenhochzeit" (wedding of elephants). Being aware that the new firm's program did not provide room for two similar works of this magnitude, it was decided that the big serial reference works coming from Mannheim would henceforth be marketed under the name of Brockhaus.

See also

External links

  • Wikimedia Commons has 16 books of the 4th edition, as 16,700+ images (German text + illustrations):
  • Gallery: Commons:Meyers Konversations-Lexikon
  • Book 1:   Commons:File:Meyers b1 s0001.jpg, etc.
  • Book 2:   Commons:File:Meyers b2 s0001.jpg, etc.
  • Book 16: Commons:File:Meyers b16 s0001.jpg, Commons:File:Meyers b16 s0002.jpg, etc.
(each book has ~1020 pages. Book 5 page 967 is ... b5 s0967.jpg.)
  • Illustrations only: Commons:Category:Images from Meyers Konversationslexikon.
  • Works by or about Meyers Konversations-Lexikon at Internet Archive
  • Works by Meyers Konversations-Lexikon at LibriVox (public domain audiobooks)
  • Bibliographisches Institut & F.A. Brockhaus AG
  • , 4th ed., 1885-92 onlineMeyers Konversationslexikon
  • Hathi Trust
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.