World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

M15-class monitor

Article Id: WHEBN0016271298
Reproduction Date:

Title: M15-class monitor  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: BL 9.2 inch gun Mk IX–X, BL 7.5 inch Mk II – V naval gun
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

M15-class monitor


HMS M21
Class overview
Name: M15-class monitor
Operators: Royal Navy
Preceded by:
Succeeded by:
In service: 1915 - 1959
Completed: 14
Lost: 4
General characteristics
Type: Monitor
Displacement: 540 tons
Length: 177 ft 3 in (54.03 m)
Beam: 31 ft (9.4 m)
Draught: 6 ft 9 in (2.06 m)
Propulsion: 2 shafts
Triple-expansion
800 hp
4 shaft
Bolinder 4-cylinder semi-diesel
640 hp
4 shafts
Campbell 4-cylinder paraffin engines
560 bhp
Speed: 11 knots
Complement: 69
Armament:

The M15 class comprised fourteen monitors of the Royal Navy, all built and launched during 1915.

Design

The ships of this class were ordered in March, 1915, as part of the Emergency War Programme of ship construction. They were designed to use the 9.2 inch Mk VI gun turrets removed from the Edgar class and the Mk X turrets held in stock for the Drake class and Cressy class cruisers. This resulted in the first four of the class, which were built by William Gray & Company of Hartlepool, receiving the Mk X mounting. The remaining ten ships, all built by Sir Raylton Dixon & Co., Middlesbrough, all received the Mk VI mounting.

During September 1915, the 9.2 inch guns of HMS M24, M25, M26 and M27 were removed for use as artillery. These were replaced by 7.5-inch guns. M24 and M25 received the spare guns reserved for the recently sunk pre-dreadnought battleship Triumph, M26 received one of Swiftsure's spare guns. M27 received 6-inch (M27) guns.

M21 and M23 also had their 9.2 inch gun removed in 1917, receiving 7.5-inch guns from the decommissioned pre-dreadnought Swiftsure.

The class used a mixture of propulsion methods. M21 and M22 were fitted with conventional triple-expansion steam engines, M24 was fitted with four-cylinder paraffin engines, and the remainder received Bolinder four-cylinder semi-diesel engines.

Service

M25, M26, M27 and M28 served in the Dover Patrol from 1915 to 1918. The remainder served in the Mediterranean from 1915, with M23 joining the Dover Patrol in June 1917 and M21 in October 1917.

As part of the intervention into the Russian civil war M23, M24, M25 and M27 served in support of British and White Russian forces in the White Sea in May to September 1919.

M22 was converted to a minelayer in 1920, whilst M23 became a drill ship, surviving until 1959.

Ships of the class

  • M15 - launched on April 28, 1915 and sunk by UC-38 on November 11, 1917.
  • M16 - launched on May 3, 1915 and sold January 29, 1920.
  • M17 - launched on May 12, 1915 and sold May 12, 1920.
  • M18 - launched on May 15, 1915 and sold January 29, 1920.
  • M19 - launched on May 4, 1915 and sold May 12, 1920.
  • M20 - launched on May 11, 1915 and sold January 29, 1920.
  • M21 - launched on May 27, 1915 and mined October 20, 1918.
  • M22 - launched on June 10, 1915, renamed Medea 1925 and sold December 1938
  • M23 - launched on June 17, 1915, renamed Claverhouse 1922 and sold 1959
  • M24 - launched on August 9, 1915 and sold January 29, 1920.
  • M25 - launched on July 24, 1915 and scuttled September 16, 1919
  • M26 - launched on August 24, 1915 and sold January 29, 1920.
  • M27 - launched on September 8, 1915 and scuttled September 16, 1919
  • M28 - launched on June 28, 1915 and sunk during the Battle of Imbros January 20, 1918

References

External links


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.