World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

London and Glasgow Shipbuilding Company

Article Id: WHEBN0034931507
Reproduction Date:

Title: London and Glasgow Shipbuilding Company  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: HMS Hyacinth (1898), Companies established in 1864, Great Eastern Railway
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

London and Glasgow Shipbuilding Company

London and Glasgow Shipbuilding Company, also known as the London and Glasgow Engineering and Iron Shipbuilding Company, was a shipbuilding firm established in 1864 by a consortium of London bankers, including the Glasgow engineer James Rodger. They acquired the Middleton Yard in Govan in 1864, and soon acquired more land at Ron Bank in Govan which belonged to the Lochhead family. The old Lochhead land lay between Robert Napier's "Old Yard" and the Middleton Yard allowing expansion to the west. London & Glasgow Engineering and Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. also bought land at Lancefield on the northern side of the River Clyde and established a boiler workshop there.

The company was very successful at the Middleton Yard, building numerous ships, including many for the Cunard Line, such as the SS Carinthia and SS Sylvania, both launched in 1895. The company also built many ships for the Indo-China Steam Navigation Company, including SS Posang, SS Tai Sang, SS Lee Sang, SS Lien Shing, SS E Sang, SS Wo Sang, SS Tak Sang, and the 4000 ton SS Nam Sang, launched in February 1902. Many ships were also built for the Royal Navy at the Middleton Yard; amongst them was the 10,000 ton HMS Roxburgh, a first class armoured cruiser launched in January 1904. Another ship built for the Royal Navy was HMS Cumberland, a cruiser launched in December 1902. In 1910 London & Glasgow Engineering and Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. acquired Napier's Govan East Yard (New Yard) from the owners William Beardmore and Co. Now as well as having the boiler shop at Lancefield and an engine works at Anderston Quay the London & Glasgow now owned the yards from Highland Lane up to Mackie & Thompson at Napier's "Old Yard".

In 1912 Harland and Wolff Limited acquired both the Middleton and Govan East Yard from London & Glasgow Engineering and Iron Shipbuilding Co. Ltd. along with the Napier's "Old Yard" from Mackie & Thomson, creating one large yard which ran until 1962.

List of ships built

  • HMS Lynx, launched 20 March 1913, completed January 1914, mined and sunk 9 August 1915


  • Govan-Built

External links

  • List of ships built at Middleton Yard
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.