World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Lincoln (electoral district)

Article Id: WHEBN0001533106
Reproduction Date:

Title: Lincoln (electoral district)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 1st Parliament of Upper Canada, List of Members of the Canadian House of Commons (M), List of federal by-elections in Canada, James Dew Chaplin, James Rea Benson
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Lincoln (electoral district)

Lincoln was a federal electoral district represented in the Canadian House of Commons from 1867 to 1883 and from 1904 to 1997. It was on the Niagara Peninsula in the Canadian province of Ontario. At various times, there was also an electoral district of the same name used in provincial elections.

At various times, the riding included all or parts of the former Lincoln County (including its successor, the Regional Municipality of Niagara). After 1976, it also represented parts of the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth, mainly Stoney Creek. As a suburban riding of Hamilton, it tended to vote Conservative much more often than the city proper.

By the 1997 election, the riding borders and name were changed to Stoney Creek although it included many areas outside that city.

Geography

It initially consisted of the Townships of Clinton, Grantham, Grimsby, and Louth, and the Town of St. Catharines. It was abolished in 1882 when it was redistributed between Lincoln and Niagara and Wentworth South ridings.

It was recreated from those two ridings in 1903, and defined as consisting of the County of Lincoln.

In 1947, it was defined as consisting of the county of Lincoln, including the city of St. Catharines.

In 1966, it was defined as consisting of

(a) in the County of Lincoln, the southeast part of the City of St. Catharines, and the Townships of Caistor, Clinton, Gainsborough, Grimsby North, Grimsby South, Louth and Niagara;

(b) in the County of Welland, the Townships of Pelham and Thorold.

In 1976, it was defined as consisting of:

(a) in the Regional Municipality of Hamilton-Wentworth, the Town of Stoney Creek and the part of the City of Hamilton east of Red Hill Creek between Windermere Road in the north and the brow of the Mountain and the limit of the City of Hamilton in the south, and (b) in the Regional Municipality of Niagara, the Towns of Grimsby and Lincoln.

In 1987, the City of Hamilton part of the ridings was redefined to consist of the part of the city south of Queenston Road, east of Redhill Creek and north of the brow of the Niagara Escarpment.

It was abolished in 1996 when it was redistributed between Erie—Lincoln and Stoney Creek ridings.

Members of Parliament

This riding elected the following members of the Canadian House of Commons:

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.