World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Le Bar-sur-Loup

Article Id: WHEBN0015324701
Reproduction Date:

Title: Le Bar-sur-Loup  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Daluis, Bendejun, Berre-les-Alpes, Bézaudun-les-Alpes, Blausasc
Collection: Communes of Alpes-Maritimes
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Le Bar-sur-Loup

Le Bar-sur-Loup
A general view of the village
A general view of the village
Coat of arms of Le Bar-sur-Loup
Coat of arms
Le Bar-sur-Loup is located in France
Le Bar-sur-Loup
Le Bar-sur-Loup
Country France
Region Provence-Alpes-Côte d'Azur
Department Alpes-Maritimes
Arrondissement Grasse
Canton Le Bar-sur-Loup
Intercommunality Sophia Antipolis
 • Mayor (2008–2014) Richard Ribero
Area1 14.47 km2 (5.59 sq mi)
Population (2008)2 2,778
 • Density 190/km2 (500/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 06010 / 06620
Elevation 100–1,312 m (328–4,304 ft)
(avg. 310 m or 1,020 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Le Bar-sur-Loup is a commune in the Alpes-Maritimes department in southeastern France.

Originally known simply as Le Bar, the commune become known as Le Bar-sur-Loup by a decree dated 27 March 1961 published in the Journal Officiel on 1 April, with effect from 2 April 1961.

Its inhabitants are known as Aubarnais - Aubarnenc in Occitan - or simply Barois.


  • Geography 1
  • History 2
  • Places and monuments 3
  • Gallery 4
  • Legend 5
  • Population 6
  • Personalities 7
  • Sister city 8
  • See also 9
  • References 10


The commune gets its name from the Loup, a coastal river that runs through it. The Loup flows into the Mediterranean near Villeneuve-Loubet.


Famous ruins of a viaduct are located in a village near Le Bar-sur-Loup. The viaduct was destroyed by German soldiers who occupied the village during the Second World War. The construction of the viaduct took two years, starting in 1940 and finishing in 1942. Towards the end of the war, the Germans evacuated the village and blew up the viaduct. Later, la Compagnie des Grands Travaux de Marseille (a public construction company at the time) ordered the destruction of remaining parts of the viaduct that were close to collapse. On the other hand, pillars that were considered as non-dangerous were left in place, and serve as a reminder of the time for local inhabitants.

Places and monuments

Church of Saint-Jacques-le-Majeur

The carvings on the door are quite notable. On the inside, one can see an altarpiece painted by Ludovico Brea dating to the 16th century as well as statues from the 17th century. In the back of the church, there is a wood carving of a danse macabre from the 15th century.

Le château des comtes de Grasse

A quadrangular building built on vaulted cellars, with two towers to the south and a smaller one to the north. The castle was sacked in 1792 and sold to the villagers in 1832. Restored, it was divided into apartments. It was the birthplace of François Joseph Paul de Grasse, Comte de Grasse and French naval general, on 13 September 1722.
At the entrance to the courtyard before the castle, one can see a broad-based square tower. This is the old castle keep, now a tourist office. Before it was dismantled in 1792 it had seven storeys. A museum has been set up on the first floor which tells the stories of the village's most famous residents.



During Lent, a count in Le Bar held a party during which all the guests died. A danse macabre was painted to commemorate the divine punishment. It shows Death as an archer, firing arrows at the guests. Ghosts rise from the mouths of the corpses in the form of small, naked people, which are then weighed in a balance held by Saint Michael (sitting at the feet of Christ). The ghosts are then sent into the jaws of a monster, representing the entrance to hell.



It was the birthplace (1722) of 18th-century Admiral François Joseph Paul de Grasse.

Sister city

Le Bar-sur-Loup has a sister city:

See also


  1. ^
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.