World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Ile d'Yeu

Article Id: WHEBN0000630868
Reproduction Date:

Title: Ile d'Yeu  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: 1795, François Mitterrand, Ian Hogg (Royal Navy officer), Françoise Ardré, Jean Rigaud, Christian Levavasseur
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Ile d'Yeu


Coat of arms

Coordinates: 46°43′30″N 2°20′49″W / 46.725°N 2.347°W / 46.725; -2.347Coordinates: 46°43′30″N 2°20′49″W / 46.725°N 2.347°W / 46.725; -2.347

Country France
Region Pays de la Loire
Department Vendée
Arrondissement Les Sables-d'Olonne
Canton L'Île-d'Yeu
 • Land1 23.32 km2 (9.00 sq mi)
Population (2006)
 • Population2 5,001
 • Population2 density 210/km2 (560/sq mi)
INSEE/Postal code 85113 / 85350
Elevation 0–32 m (0–105 ft)
(avg. 20 m or 66 ft)

1 French Land Register data, which excludes lakes, ponds, glaciers > 1 km² (0.386 sq mi or 247 acres) and river estuaries.

2 Population without double counting: residents of multiple communes (e.g., students and military personnel) only counted once.

Île d'Yeu is an island and commune just off the Vendée coast of western France.

The island's two harbours, Port-Joinville in the north and Port de la Meule, located in a rocky inlet of the southern granite coast, are famous for the fishing of tuna and lobster.

Neolithic markings in the native stone and an unusual concentration of megalithic dolmens and menhirs attest to the island's early sanctity.[1] Whether or not its inhabitants were evangelised at the beginning of the fourth century by Martin of Vertou and Saint Hilaire, Irish monks from Bangor dedicated their monastery on the Île d'Yeu to Hilaire; Saint Amand, from Poitou received early training there, but it was destroyed by Viking raiders in the ninth century.

During the tenth century, monks from Marmoutier near Tours and monks of Saint-Cyprien at Poitiers built a new monastery and dedicated it to Saint Stephen. The castle built on an islet linked to the coast by a bridge is first mentioned in 1356.

Since the nineteenth century Île d'Yeu has attracted many artists, such as Jean Rigaud (1912–1999), official painter to the French Navy, who had a house there, and his friend Maurice Boitel (1919–2007)

The island's seaweeds have been the subject of studies by the French marine biologist Françoise Ardré.

Administratively, the commune of L'Île-d'Yeu (with that spelling) forms part of the Vendée department and the Pays de la Loire region of France.

The island is reached by ferry from Fromentine or Saint-Gilles-Croix-de-Vie. Air transportation is available at Île d'Yeu Aerodrome (IATA: IDYICAO: LFEY), with commercial service from Nantes Airport.


Notable residents

The proclaimed hero of Verdun and the leader of France's wartime Vichy régime, Philippe Pétain, died in prison on the island in 1951 and is buried there.

The poet Marc-Adolphe Guégan, an early French exponent of Haiku, lived on the island until his death in 1959.

His Majesty King Philippe of the Belgians, his wife, Queen Mathilde, and their children spend summer holidays on the island.

See also



External links

  • (in French)
  • Official site for the tourism office and commune of the Ile d'Yeu (in French)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.