World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

German submarine Wilhelm Bauer

Article Id: WHEBN0001030383
Reproduction Date:

Title: German submarine Wilhelm Bauer  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Bremerhaven, Type XXI submarines, Type 139 patrol trawler, Großherzogin Elisabeth (ship), Frieden (museum ship)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

German submarine Wilhelm Bauer

Wilhelm Bauer, panoramic view
History
Nazi Germany
Name:
  • U-2540
  • Wilhelm Bauer
Namesake: Wilhelm Bauer
Ordered: 6 November 1943
Builder: Blohm & Voss, Hamburg
Yard number: 2540
Laid down: 28 October 1944
Launched: 13 January 1945
Commissioned: 24 February 1945 (as U-2540)
Fate:
  • Scuttled, 4 May 1945
  • Raised, June 1957
Recommissioned: 1 September 1960 (as Wilhelm Bauer)
Decommissioned: 28 August 1968
In service: May 1970
Out of service: 15 March 1982
Status: Museum ship, 27 April 1984
General characteristics
Class & type: Type XXI submarine
Displacement:
  • 1,621 t (1,595 long tons) surfaced
  • 2,100 t (2,067 long tons) submerged
Length: 76.7 m (251 ft 8 in)
Beam: 8 m (26 ft 3 in)
Draught: 5.3 m (17 ft 5 in)
Propulsion:
Speed:
  • Surfaced:
  • 15.6 knots (28.9 km/h; 18.0 mph) (diesel)
  • 17.9 knots (33.2 km/h; 20.6 mph) (electric)
  • Submerged:
  • 17.2 knots (31.9 km/h; 19.8 mph) (electric)
  • 6.1 knots (11.3 km/h; 7.0 mph) (silent running motors)
Range:
  • 15,500 nmi (28,700 km; 17,800 mi) at 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph) surfaced
  • 340 nmi (630 km; 390 mi) at 5 knots (9.3 km/h; 5.8 mph) submerged
Complement: 57 officers and men
Sensors and
processing systems:
Armament:
  • 6 × bow torpedo tubes
  • 23 × 53.3 cm (21 in) torpedoes
  • (or 17 × torpedoes and 12 × mines)
  • 4 × 2 cm (0.8 in) AA guns

Wilhelm Bauer (originally designated U-2540) is a Type XXI U-boat of Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine, completed shortly before the end of World War II. It was scuttled at the end of the war, having never gone on patrol. In 1957, it was raised from the seabed off Flensburg Firth and recommissioned in the West-German Bundesmarine in 1960. Finally decommissioned in 1980, it is the only floating example of a XXI U-boat.

Construction and wartime service

Construction of U-2540 began on 28/29 October 1944 by Blohm & Voss in the Hamburg-Finkenwerder. She was launched on 13 January 1945 and commissioned on 24 February 1945 as part of 31st U-boat Flotilla for training purposes. In April 1945 the boat went to the front after training at Rønne on Bornholm. Due to the ongoing fuel shortages at the end of the war, the boat was relocated to Swinemünde before being scuttled near the Flensburg lightship on 4 May 1945.

Salvage, refit, and new service

In June 1957, after more than 12 years on the floor of the Baltic Sea, it was raised, overhauled at Howaldtswerke, Kiel, and commissioned as a research vessel in the Bundesmarine, serving from 1 September 1960 until 28 August 1968 as a test boat (class 241). On relaunch it took the name Wilhelm Bauer, the designer of the first German U-boat Brandtaucher built in Kiel by August Howaldt in 1850. From May 1970 it again entered service, this time with a civilian crew and served as a testbed for the technical innovations of the class 206 U-boat. After an underwater collision with the German destroyer Z-3 (D172) on 6 May 1980 Wilhelm Bauer was discharged from use at Eckernförde on 18 November 1980 and finally released from service on 15 March 1982.

Conversion to museum ship

Wilhelm Bauer in Bremerhaven

U-2540 was put on sale by the Ministry of Defence and acquired by the board

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.