World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

EML Sulev (M312)

Article Id: WHEBN0015499269
Reproduction Date:

Title: EML Sulev (M312)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Estonian Navy, Sulev, Military of Estonia, Staabikapten, Junior sergeant
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

EML Sulev (M312)

Career (Germany)
Name: Lindau
Operator: German Navy
Builder: Burmeister-Werft Bremen-Burg, Germany
Launched: 16 February 1957
Commissioned: 24 April 1958
Decommissioned: 19 October 2000
Fate: Sold to Estonia
Career (Estonia)
Name: Sulev
Operator: Estonian Navy
Acquired: December 2000
Decommissioned: 26 March 2009
Motto: Certum Est
Badge:
General characteristics
Class & type: Lindau class minehunter
Displacement: 495 tons full
Length: 47.1 m
Beam: 8.3 m
Draught: 3.7 m
Propulsion: 2 shafts propulsors
diesel drives
2 × 1470 kW Maybach MD 871 um/1-D drives
5 × 70 kW diesel drives RHS 518 Dn 5
Speed: 16.5 knots
Range: 1,360 km (730 nmi; 850 mi)
Complement: 6 officers, 31 sailors
Crew: 37
Sensors and
processing systems:
Navigation radar
Hull-mounted DSQS-11 mine-detection sonar
Armament: 1 × 40mm/70 Bofors automatic cannon
2 × 12.7 mm Browning MG gun
Notes: Mine counter measures equipment:
2 × ECA PAP 104 Mk.5 remotely controlled submarines (ROV) with explosives
contact-sweeper

EML Sulev (M312) is a Lindau-class minehunter of the Estonian Navy Mineships Division. The commanding officer of the vessel is Lieutenant Janek Naur.

Introduction

The minehunter Sulev is the second vessel of the Estonian Navy Mineships Division and also the second modernized Lindau class minehunter. A cross-bow is on the coat of arms of the vessel which was also a friend of Kalevipoeg Sulev's son weapon. The ships motto is in Latin "Certum Est" which means in English "Secure it is". The coat of arms was designed by Priit Herodes. In August 2001 on the 5th Kuressaare naval day a cooperation contract was signed between the Kuressaare city council and the minehunter Sulev which gave the vessel a right to wear the Kuressaare town coat of arms and to introduce the city in all foreign harbors across the world.

History

The Sulev (M312) was built in West-Germany, in a Burmester shipyard in Bremen. The vessel was launched on 16 February 1957 and she entered service a year later on 24 April 1958. She was to become the first German naval ship built since the end of the Second World War in Germany. The ships name comes from a city called Lindau in Germany and marks also the minehunter class name which has in total of 18 vessels. Originally Lindau was a minesweeper but was transformed into a minehunter in late 1970s. The German Navy decommissioned Lindau and one of her twin sisters Cuxhaven on 9 October 2003 and gave the vessels to the Estonian Navy to operate. On the ceremony the vessel received an Estonian name Sulev.[1] Estonian Navy decommissioned Sulev on 26 March 2009.

Gallery

See also


References

  1. ^ http://www.mil.ee/?menu=merevagi&sisu=sulev ENS Sulev (M312)

External links

  • Estonian Navy
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.