World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Danlayer

Article Id: WHEBN0014940252
Reproduction Date:

Title: Danlayer  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: HMT Elk (1902), Buoy, Mine countermeasures vessel, Fast combat support ship, Balloon carrier
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Danlayer

HMS Sir Galahad, a Round Table class trawler displacing 440 long tons, was converted to a danlayer in 1944 and used to support the Normandy landings.

A danlayer was a type of vessel assigned to minesweeping flotillas during and immediately after World War II. They were usually small trawlers, fitted for the purpose of laying dans. A dan is a marker buoy which consists of a long pole moored to the seabed and fitted to float vertically, usually with a coded flag at the top.

Dan laying was an important part of minesweeping, and boats were fitted specifically for this purpose. The task of a danlayer was to follow the minesweepers as they worked an area, and lay the dans which defined the area swept and made it obvious where the clear channels were. This would also help the minesweepers cover areas accurately without gaps and unnecessary overlaps.[1] A danlayer worked with a minesweeper flotilla when large areas of sea were to be clear-swept.

List of danlayers

Germany

Since Germany had been an exponent of mine warfare since the 1920s, it was natural that the Kriegsmarine used a number of danlayers during World War II. Danlayers of the Kriegsmarine included the following vessels:

  • The 800-ton, 176-foot B 206 - This vessel was ceded to France in 1946 and outfitted as the surveying vessel Ingenieur-Hydrographe Nicolas
  • The 120-ton, 82-foot B 253, B 254, B 261, B 262, B 264, B 273 and B 275 - These were ceded to France in 1946 and renamed Rachgoun, Treberon, Tourteau, Cassidaign, Les Madeleines, Habibas and Crabe, respectively. Tourteau and Crabe became surveying tenders, while the others were employed as small harbor transports for naval personnel.
  • The 600-ton, 180-foot B 281 (formerly the patrol trawler V 204, originally named Zieten) - This vessel was ceded to France in 1946 and renamed Astrolabe as a surveying tender.
  • The 500-ton, 137-foot B 282 and B 284 (formerly the whalers Treff. 6 and Traff. 2), respectively) - Both were ceded to France in 1946 and renamed Estafette and Sentinelle as surveying tenders.

Britain

Danlayers employed by the Royal Navy during the extensive mine clearance operations following World War II included the following Isles-class trawlers.

  • Hellisay (T391)
  • Hermetray (T392)
  • Imersay (J422)
  • Orsay (J450)
  • Ronay (J429)
  • Sandray (J424)
  • Scaravay (J425)
  • Sheppey (T292)
  • Shillay (J426)
  • Sursay (J427)
  • Tahay (J452)
  • Tocogay (J451)
  • Trodday (J431)
  • Vaceasay (J432)
  • Vallay (J434)
  • Wiay (J441)

Two Round Table class trawlers, Sir Lanceleot (T228) and Sir Galahad (T226) were converted from minesweepers to danlayers prior to the Normandy landings.

In 1944, prior to the Allied invasion of Normandy, the Admiralty-type Motor Mine Sweepers Nos. 141, 142, 238, 239, 240, and 214 were converted to danlayers and redesignated as follows: HMS Burfin, HMS Cottel, HMS Fichot, HMS Jude, HMS Quirpon, HMS St. Barbe, respectively. All were twin-screw, wooden, 105-foot, coastal-minesweeping sloops built by Steers Ltd. at Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada between 1941 and 1943.

New Zealand

Danlayers employed by the Royal New Zealand Navy during World War II

  • HMNZS Coastguard (T12)
  • HMNZS Kaiwaka (T14)
  • HMNZS Nora Niven (T23)
  • HMNZS Phyllis T22

Notes

  1. ^ McDougall RJ, New Zealand Naval Vessels, p. 55. Wellington, NZ: Government Printing Office, 1989. ISBN 978-0-477-01399-4

References

  • Francis E. McMurtrie and Raymond V.B. Blackman (eds.), Jane's Fighting Ships 1949-50, pp. 63, 193, 194. New York: The McGraw-Hill Book Company, Inc., 1949.
  • H.T. Lenton and J.J. Colledge, Warships of World War II, pp. 534 & 538, London, UK: Ian Allan Ltd., 1964.
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.