World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Dalmuir

Article Id: WHEBN0003886619
Reproduction Date:

Title: Dalmuir  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: V and W-class destroyer, Clydebank, List of state schools in Scotland (council areas excluding cities, S–W), HMS K16, Dalmuir railway station
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Dalmuir

Dalmuir
Scottish Gaelic: Dail Mhoire

The Dalmuir drop lock is the first of its type, allowing boats on the Forth and Clyde Canal to go under the Dumbarton Road without stopping traffic.
Dalmuir is located in West Dunbartonshire
Dalmuir
Dalmuir
 Dalmuir shown within West Dunbartonshire
OS grid reference
Council area West Dunbartonshire
Lieutenancy area Dunbartonshire
Country Scotland
Sovereign state United Kingdom
Post town CLYDEBANK
Postcode district G81
Dialling code 0141
Police Scottish
Fire Scottish
Ambulance Scottish
EU Parliament Scotland
UK Parliament West Dunbartonshire
Scottish Parliament Clydebank and Milngavie
List of places
UK
Scotland

Dalmuir (; Scottish Gaelic: Dail Mhoire) is an area on the western side of Clydebank, in West Dunbartonshire, Scotland.

Contents

  • Location 1
  • History 2
  • Churches 3
    • Dalmuir Barclay Church 3.1
    • St Stephen's Church 3.2
  • Schools 4

Location

It is neighboured by the village of Old Kilpatrick, the Mountblow and Parkhall areas of Clydebank, as well as the town centre. It has a 5-platform railway station, Dalmuir railway station, on the North Clyde Line.

Its most well-known area is Dalmuir Park.

There are also a few pubs, including The Horse and Barge, and The Mountblow bar.

History

Before being annexed to the growing shipbuilding town of Clydebank, early Dalmuir was a town in its own right and host to Richard Collins paper mill, which opened in 1747 on the banks of the Duntocher Burn.

The William Beardmore and Company shipbuilding and engineering works attracted a large population to settle in the area. Part of their former site has been developed for the Golden Jubilee Hospital and the accompanying Beardmore Hotel and Conference Centre.

Churches

Barclay Church
Denomination Church of Scotland
Administration
Parish Dalmuir
Presbytery Dumbarton
Clergy
Minister(s) Rev. Fiona E. Maxwell

Dalmuir Barclay Church

Dalmuir Barclay Church is a congregation of the Church of Scotland, located in the Dalmuir area of Clydebank, a town in West Dunbartonshire, Scotland.

The first church was Dalmuir Parish Church in 1894. Initially, the congregation met in the old Masonic Hall but subsequently moved to a 500-seat hall (the "iron church") before moving again in 1903 to a new building on the corner of Dumbarton Road and Roberts Street. The next was Dalmuir West United Free Church, (later named Ross Memorial Church), which was established in 1906 and became Church of Scotland in 1929. It opened in 1915 but was destroyed during the Clydebank Blitz. A replacement was built in Kimberley Street in Mountblow in the early 1950s and renamed Dalmuir Overtoun. It united with Dalmuir Parish Church in 1976 and the old Parish Church building was acquired for the Roman Catholic Our Lady of Loretto Church. Dalmuir Overtoun then united with the Old Kilpatrick Barclay in 1990 to become Dalmuir Barclay Church and a new church was built close to the site of the original Ross Memorial on Dumbarton Road, now at 2 Durban Avenue.

St Stephen's Church
Denomination Roman Catholic
Website St Stephen's home page
Administration
Parish Dalmuir
Diocese Diocese of Glasgow
Clergy
Priest(s) Fr. aiden martin

St Stephen's Church

St Stephen's Church is a Roman Catholic church, established in 1907. The original church was destroyed in the Clydebank Blitz and the magnificent new structure, with its prominent bell tower, which opened on the 28th of September 1958, was designed by the architect Thomas Cordiner.

Schools

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.