World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Coimbatore District (Madras Presidency)

Article Id: WHEBN0029506868
Reproduction Date:

Title: Coimbatore District (Madras Presidency)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Coimbatore district, Districts of British India, History of Coimbatore, Historical districts of India, Imphal district
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Coimbatore District (Madras Presidency)

Coimbatore District
கோயம்புத்தூர் மாவட்டம்
District of the Madras Presidency

1805–1947

Flag of Coimbatore District

Flag

Location of Coimbatore District
Location of Coimbatore district before the segregation of six taluks to form Erode district
Capital Coimbatore
History
 -  Establishment of the district 1805
 -  Modern Coimbatore district 1947
Area
 -  1901 20,357 km2 (7,860 sq mi)
Population
 -  1901 2,201,752 
Density 108.2 /km2  (280.1 /sq mi)
 
Aerial view of the Coimbatore Townhall zone in 1930
View of the Coimbatore Stanes Coffee Curing Works in 1911

Coimbatore district was one of the districts of the erstwhile Madras Presidency of British India. It covered the areas of the present-day districts of Coimbatore, Erode and Tirupur and the Kollegal taluk of present-day Karnataka. It covered a total area of 7,860 square miles (20,400 km2) and was sub-divided into 10 taluks. The administrative headquarters was Coimbatore city. Most of Coimbatore's inhabitants were Tamil-speaking but there were also large numbers of Malayalam, Telugu and Kannada speaking people.

History

Coimbatore was a part of the ancient Chera kingdom during the Sangam Age. After the Chera kingdom fell, the region was ruled by the Western Gangas and the Hoysalas. Coimbatore came under Muslim rule in the 13th century AD and was a province of the Vijayanagar Empire. After the fall of the Vijayanagar Empire, Coimbatore was ruled by the Madurai Nayaks till 17th century. A series of wars between the Kingdoms of Kingdom of Mysore of Madurai Nayak dynasty resulted in the region coming under the control of Mysore kings till the defeat of Tipu Sultan in the Third Mysore War in 1792, Coimbatore became a part of British India.[1]

The district was founded in 1805. In 1868 Nilgiri District was segregated. The Avinashi taluk was fomed when Karur was separated from the district and merged with Trichinopoly District. In 1927 and 1929 other readjustments were made. In 1956 the Kollegal taluk was transferred to Mysore State. In 1975 and 1979 some subtaluks were promoted to taluks, including Satyamangalam, Perundurai and Mettupalayam, so that Coimbatore district ended up with 12 taluks, but before the end of 1979 the six taluks of Bhavani, Gopichettipalaiyam, Satyamangalam, Erode, Perundurai and Dharapuram, were segregated to form Erode district. The remaining six taluks became nine after two new ones were established and a further one was bifurcated.[2]

Taluks

Coimbatore was sub-divided into 10 taluks:

  • Bhavani (Area: 715 square miles (1,850 km2); Headquarters: Bhavani)
  • Coimbatore (Area: 812 square miles (2,100 km2); Headquarters: Coimbatore)
  • Dharapuram (Area: 853 square miles (2,210 km2); Headquarters: Dharapuram)
  • Erode (Area: 598 square miles (1,550 km2); Headquarters: Erode)
  • Karur (Area: 612 square miles (1,590 km2); Headquarters: Karur)
  • Kollegal (Area: 1,076 square miles (2,790 km2); Headquarters: Kollegal)
  • Palladam (Area: 741 square miles (1,920 km2); Headquarters: Palladam)
  • Pollachi (Area: 710 square miles (1,800 km2); Headquarters: Pollachi)
  • Satyamangalam (Area: 1,177 square miles (3,050 km2); Headquarters: Gobichettipalayam)
  • Udamalpet (Area: 566 square miles (1,470 km2); Headquarters: Udamalpet)

Administration

Coimbatore was divided into 4 sub-divisions:

  • Coimbatore sub-division: Coimbatore and Sathyamangalam taluks
  • Erode sub-division: Bhavani, Dharapuram, Erode and Karur taluks
  • Kollegal sub-division: Kollegal taluk
  • Pollachi sub-division: Pollachi, Palladam and Udumalpet

See also

References

  1. ^  
  2. ^ Coimbatore district - History

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.