World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Canton of Linth

Article Id: WHEBN0003875134
Reproduction Date:

Title: Canton of Linth  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Pfäfers Abbey, Rapperswil, Canton of Glarus, Canton of St. Gallen, Helvetic Republic
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Canton of Linth

Canton of Linth
Kanton Linth
Canton of the Helvetic Republic
1798–1803 Canton of St. Gallen
 
Glarus
 
Schwyz
Location of Linth
Cantons of Säntis (orange) and Linth (green)
Capital Glarus
History
 •  Helv. Rep. proclaimed April 12, 1798
 •  Canton established June 17, 1798 1798
 •  Helv. Rep. disestablished February 19, 1803 1803
Preceded by
Succeeded by
Canton of Glarus
Canton of Schwyz
County of Uznach
County of Toggenburg
County of Werdenberg
County of Sargans
Imperial Abbey of Pfäfers
Lordship of Sax
Vogtei of Gams
Vogtei of Windegg
Canton of St. Gallen
Canton of Glarus
Canton of Schwyz

Linth was a canton of the Helvetic Republic from 1798 to 1803, consisting of Glarus and its subject County of Werdenberg, the Höfe and March districts of Schwyz and the Züricher subject Lordship of Sax, along with a handful of shared territories.

Administration

The canton contained approximately 78,500 inhabitants. Like all the cantons of the Helvetic Republic, Linth was established and administered on a French Revolutionary model. Linth and was divided administratively into seven districts

  • Werdenberg:
capital Werdenberg, 30 electors, approx. 10,500 inhabitants
  • Neu St. Johann:
capital Neu St. Johann, 30 electors, approx. 11,600 inhabitants
  • Mels:
capital Mels, 25 electors, approx. 9,800 inhabitants
  • Schwanden:
capital Schwanden, 29 electors, approx. 10,100 inhabitants
  • Glarus:
capital Glarus, 38 electors, 12,700 inhabitants
capital Schänis, 29 electors, 11,900 inhabitants
  • Rapperswil:
capital Rapperswil, 29 electors, 11,800 inhabitants

Chronology

The brief tenure of office of the cantonal heads Joachim Heer (1798), Johann Jakob Heussi (1798–99), Felix Christoph Cajetan Fuchs (1799), Niklaus Heer (1799–1802), and Franz Josef Büeler (1802–03) reflected the military and political turmoil plaguing the region, which was under French occupation from 1799, during the War of the Second Coalition, with serious effects on the local economy.

The mainly-Roman Catholic canton acquired a strong aversion to the centralised nature of the government of the Helvetic Republic, even though the canton was mainly composed of territories previously subject to the Old Swiss Confederation

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.