World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Brigus, Newfoundland and Labrador

Not to be confused with Brigus South, Brigus Junction, or Brigus Island.
Coat of arms of Brigus
Coat of arms
Location of Brigus in Newfoundlandbusiest port in Newfoundland.

Coordinates: 47°32′06″N 53°12′29″W / 47.53500°N 53.20806°W / 47.53500; -53.20806Coordinates: 47°32′06″N 53°12′29″W / 47.53500°N 53.20806°W / 47.53500; -53.20806

Country  Canada
Province  Newfoundland and Labrador
Census division 1
Settled 1612
Incorporated (town) July 21, 1964
 • Mayor Byron Rodway
 • MHA Tom Hedderson (Harbour Main)
 • MP Scott Andrews (Avalon)
 • Total 11.57 km2 (4.47 sq mi)
Elevation 30 m (100 ft)
Population (2006)
 • Total 794
 • Density 68.6/km2 (178/sq mi)
Time zone Newfoundland Standard (UTC-3:30)
 • Summer (DST) Newfoundland Daylight (UTC-2:30)
Postal code span A0A-1K0
Area code(s) 709
Highways Highway 60
Highway 70
Website Town of Brigus

Brigus is a small fishing community located in Conception Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada. Brigus was home to Captain Bob Bartlett and the location of his residence Hawthorne Cottage.

Incorporated in November 1964, Brigus' first Mayor was Fred Bartlett. The present Mayor is Byron Rodway. Rev. R. Wells was the first Clergy Mayor elected in the Province.


Located in a sheltered bay it has been home to many fishermen and a strategic location in early times. Brigus is located adjacent to Cuper's Cove (modern day Cupids) an English settlement established in 1610 by John Guy on behalf of Bristol's Society of Merchant Venturers.

Brigus is located approximately 80 km west of St. John's, and is accessible via Route 70-A just 18 km from the Trans Canada Highway (TCH).


  Population in 2001     784  
  Population change from 1996     -13.1%  
  Median age     41.9  
  Number of families     255  
  Number of married couples     195  
  Total number of dwellings     300  
  Catholic     36.1%  
  Protestant     63.9%  
  Land Area (km².)     11.57  


The name Brigus comes from the Brickhouse which was the name of an old town in England. Brigus' history dates back to around 1612, when John Guy sold half of the Harbour to the Spracklin family. At this time Brigus was mostly settled by people from England, Ireland, and Wales. During King William's War, this village was raided in the Avalon Peninsula Campaign.

Brigus is famous for its sea Captains, it was in 1819 when Captain William Munden built the schooner Four Brothers, the first one hundred ton schooner in Newfoundland (built 1819).

There were many "Arctic Heroes" that came from this historic town:

  • Captain John Bartlett sailed with the American explorer Isaac Israel Hayes and also with Admiral Robert Peary
  • Captain Sam Bartlett who sailed with Peary
  • Captain Robert Bartlett who was in charge of the S.S. Roosevelt when Peary reached the North Pole, who later survived the wreck of the Karluk, and who later helmed the schooner Effie M. Morrissey
  • Captain Arthur Bartlett
  • Captain William Norman who rescued Admiral Adolphus Greely
  • Captain Isaac Bartlett who rescued Captain Tyson and crew after drifting on an iceberg for 1500 miles
  • Captain William Bartlett, known as "the Commodore of the sealing fleet in Newfoundland".


Brigus is a popular tourist stop, renowned for its scenic qualities and places of interest. Among these are the site of The Vindicator, where the Brigus newspaper was printed at the turn of the 20th century; the Convent of Mercy, built in 1860 for the Mercy Sisters who came from Ireland in 1861; the local Orange Lodge; Hawthorne Cottage, now a National Historic Site of Canada; "The Tunnel" bored through solid rock on the waterfront in 1860 to provide access to a deep water berth for the Bartlett sailing ships; the Stone Barn Museum; Jubilee Club, the meeting place of the "Merchant Princes of Brigus" from the late 19th century to the mid-20th century; St. George' s Anglican Church, consecrated in 1845; Brigus United Church, dedicated in 1875 on the site of an earlier church; and the Roman Catholic Church, built in 1832.


Further reading

  • John Northway Leamon, 1998, Brigus: Past Glory, Present Splendour, St. John's: Harry Cuff Publications.

External links

  • Official Town Website
  • Statistics Canada detail demographics
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.