World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Brantford (electoral district)

 

Brantford (electoral district)

Brantford was a federal and provincial electoral district in Ontario, Canada, that was represented in the Canadian House of Commons from 1904 to 1925 and from 1949 to 1968, and in the Legislative Assembly of Ontario from 1986 to 1999.

Federal electoral district

The riding was first created in 1903 from parts of Brant South riding. It consisted initially of the city of Brantford, the township of Oakland, and the part of the township of Brantford south and west of the Grand River. The electoral district was abolished in 1924 when it was merged into Brantford City riding.

It was recreated in 1947 from parts of Brant and Brantford City ridings. The second incarnation consisted initially of the city of Brantford, the townships of Burford and Oakland and the part of the township of Brantford lying south and west of the left bank of Grand River, in the county of Brant. In 1952, it was redefined to include a part of the township of Brantford lying to the east of the city Brantford.

The electoral district was abolished in 1966 when it was merged into Brant riding.

Members of Parliament

This riding elected the following Members of Parliament:

  1. William F. Cockshutt, Conservative (1904–1908)
  2. Lloyd Harris, Liberal (1908–1911)
  3. William F. Cockshutt, Conservative (1908–1921)
  4. William Gawtress Raymond, Liberal (1921–1925)
  1. W. Ross Macdonald, Liberal (1949–1953)
  2. James E. Brown, Liberal (1953–1957)
  3. Jack Wratten, Progressive Conservative (1957–1962)
  4. James E. Brown, Liberal (1962–1968)

Provincial electoral district

The Brantford provincial riding existed from 1926 to 1999. It included the

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.