World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Boer War Memorial (Montreal)

Article Id: WHEBN0024756631
Reproduction Date:

Title: Boer War Memorial (Montreal)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: South African War Memorial (Toronto), South African War Memorial, Timeline of Montreal history
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Boer War Memorial (Montreal)

Boer War Memorial
Coordinates

45°30′23″N 73°35′20″W / 45.50639°N 73.58889°W / 45.50639; -73.58889Coordinates: 45°30′23″N 73°35′20″W / 45.50639°N 73.58889°W / 45.50639; -73.58889

Location Dorchester Square
Designer George W. Hill
Material bronze, stone
Opening date May 24, 1907

The Boer War Memorial is a monument of sculptor George W. Hill located at Dorchester Square in Downtown Montreal.

Overview

The Boer War Memorial, sculpted by George W. Hill (1862-1934), was unveiled at the Dominion Square on May 24, 1907. It is dedicated to the Montrealers who fought alongside the British during the Boer War.

It is the only equestrian statue in Montreal, and atypically, is not mounted, but restrained. The Boer War Memorial faces north, towards Mount Royal Cross, which would have been visible from the square up until 1929. Around the base of the statue, copper reliefs and the names of each battle.

The Boer War was widely unpopular in Quebec society, viewed as an imperial war. Prime Minister of Canada Wilfrid Laurier opposed the war, but ultimately compromised with the proposal for militia and volunteers en lieu of conscription.

The four principal monuments – the others being the Robert Burns Memorial, Wilfrid Laurier Memorial, and Queen Victoria Diamond Jubilee Fountain – in the square are arranged to form a five equilateral cross with the kiosk towards the Dominion Square Building.

On July 8, 2009, the official first shovelful of dirt was lifted in the $23-million project to restore Dorchester Square and Place du Canada at 10 a.m. near the Boer War memorial monument.[1]

Gallery

Also see

Notes

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.