World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article
 

Bahama, North Carolina

Bahama
Unincorporated community
Bahama post office
Bahama post office
Bahama is located in North Carolina
Bahama
Bahama
Location within the state of North Carolina
Coordinates:
Country United States
State North Carolina
County Durham
Time zone Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)
 • Summer (DST) EDT (UTC-4)

Bahama is an unincorporated community in northern Durham County, North Carolina.

Contents

  • History 1
  • Demographics 2
  • Education 3
  • Historic Marker 4
  • References 5

History

Bahama was originally settled around 1750 as the community of Balltown until the name was changed to reflect three leading families of the community: (Ba)ll, (HA)ll, and (Ma)ngum. Another unusual name associated with the community is Honkydory, a name for the post office here during a period of the 19th century (Powell 1968, p. 19). NASCAR driver Scott Riggs hails from Bahama.

Demographics

Bahama's Zip Code Tabulation Area (Zip Code 27503) has a population of 3,304 as of the 2000 census. The population is 50.2% male and 49.8% female. About 87.7% of the population is white, 10.3% African-American, 0.2% American Indian, 0.5% Asian, 1.2% Hispanic, and 0.6% of other races. 0.6% of people are two or more races. There are no native Hawaiians or other Pacific Islanders.

The median household income is $55,272 with 4.7% of the population living below the poverty line

Education

Bahama is home to Mangum Elementary School (formerly Mangum Primary School). Mangum Elementary is a Durham Public School. (kindergarten-5th grade)

Historic Marker

Mount Bethel Church - NC Highway Marker G-65

Marker Text:
Non-denominational meeting house built ca. 1784 by Archer Harris. By 1808 Methodist. Home church to Washington Duke.

Essay: Nathaniel Harris in the mid-eighteenth century acquired a tract of 6,000 acres (24 km2) in what is now the community of Bahama in northern Durham County. Thereon his son Archer built a meeting house around 1784 which operated for the benefit of all denominations until 1808 when it affiliated with the Methodist Church. The first building was a log structure and was used by all who desired to worship, white and black. The meeting house, originally known as Crossroads, is mentioned in a deposition filed against Archer Harris in 1784 as part of a boundary dispute.

In 1812 a 2-acre (8,100 m2) tract was conveyed to church trustees. The church was placed within the Granville Circuit of the Virginia Conference. On December 20, 1820, Washington Duke, patriarch of the “Dukes of Durham,” was converted to Methodism at the church. His parents, Taylor and Dicey Jones Duke, were members at Mount Bethel. The gifts of the Duke family to Methodist causes, not the least of them the establishment of Duke University, are many. Duke is said to have claimed that “whatever I am, I accredit to the Methodist circuit riders.”

The present church building was completed in 1949 and is the congregation’s sixth. The raising was the culmination of a prolonged fundraising effort. Harley Chester, minister, recalled that “gallons of Brunswick stew were made and sold, suppers were given, bazaars were held, Negro minstrels, plays, a womanless wedding and almost anything to make an honest dollar.”

References

  • Jean Bradley Anderson, Durham County: A History of Durham County, North Carolina (1990)
  • Harley A. Chester, A History of Mount Bethel Methodist Church (eight-page pamphlet published by the church, n.d., 1950?, copy in the marker files, North Carolina Office of Archives and History)
  • Orange County Deed Books, North Carolina State Archives
  •  
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.