World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Archibald Gillespie

Article Id: WHEBN0007607065
Reproduction Date:

Title: Archibald Gillespie  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: San Diego, Escondido, California, Edward Fitzgerald Beale, Californio, Battle of San Pasqual, Battle of Rio San Gabriel, Pacific Squadron, Pueblo de Los Angeles, Thomas O. Larkin, José María Flores
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Archibald Gillespie

Archibald H. Gillespie
Born (1810-08-14)August 14, 1810
New York City
Died August 16, 1873(1873-08-16) (aged 63)
San Francisco, California
Allegiance  United States of America
Service/branch Template:Country data United States Marine Corps
Years of service 1832- 1854
Rank Major
Battles/wars Mexican-American War

Major Archibald H. Gillespie (14 August 1810 – 16 August 1873) was an officer in the United States Marine Corps during the Mexican-American War.

Born in New York City, Gillespie was commissioned in the Marine Corps in 1832. He commanded the Marine Guard on board the USS Fairfield, USS Vincennes, USS North Carolina, and USS Brandywine.

In 1846, Lt. Gillespie was sent by President James Polk with secret messages to the U.S. Consul Thomas O. Larkin in Monterey, California, Commodore John D. Sloat commanding the Pacific Squadron and John C. Frémont. Traveling across Mexico, he caught a ship to California where he delivered his messages to Thomas Larkin and Sloat. Finding that Fremont was on his way to Oregon he borrowed a horse and hurried north where he caught up with him near the Oregon border. After delivering his messages, Gillespie turned around and headed back to California where he helped Fremont take over the Bear Flag revolt of 14 June 1846 in California. He joined the Fremont volunteers in the California Battalion as its second in command after it was formed under Commodore Robert F. Stockton on July 18, 1846.

Gillespie accompanied Fremont and Stockton to San Diego on board the USS Cyane where he participated in the peaceful occupation of San Diego and Los Angeles.

Captain Gillespie, Fremont's second in command of the California Battalion, was left with from 30 to 40 men to occupy Los Angeles after it had surrendered to Fremont and Stockton's men on 13 August 1846. Fremont was sent back north to recruit more men and Stockton, with his Marines and blue coats returned to their ships of the Pacific Squadron.

In Los Angeles, the largest city in California with about 3,000 residents, things might have remained peaceful, except that Capt. Gillespie placed the town under martial law, greatly angering some of the Californios. On 23 September 1846, about 200-300 Californios staged a revolt, under Captain José Maria Flores,[1] and exchanged shots with the Americans in their quarters at the Government House. Gillespie and his men withdrew from their headquarters in town to Fort Hill which, unfortunately, had no water. Gillespie was caught in a trap, outnumbered more than ten to one by the besiegers. John Brown, an American, called by the Californios Juan Flaco, meaning "Lean John," succeeded in breaking through the Californio lines and riding to Yerba Buena where he delivered to Stockton a dispatch from Gillespie notifying him of the situation. Gillespie, on September 30, finally accepted the terms of capitulation and departed for San Pedro with his forces, weapons and flags plus two cannon (the others were spiked and left behind), accompanied by the exchanged American prisoners and several American residents.[2]

Later, Gillespie's forces fought in the Battle of San Pasqual, the Battle of Dominguez Rancho, and the Battle of Rio San Gabriel with U.S. Marines and California Battalion members successfully ending the abortive four month battle for Los Angeles and southern California. The Treaty of Cahuenga in January 1847 ended all hostilities in California.

Returning to Washington, D.C., in 1847, he subsequently served there and at Pensacola, Florida, until resigning from the Marine Corps 14 October 1854. For his distinguished service in California, he was promoted to Captain, and then Major, by brevet. He died 16 August 1873 in San Francisco, California.


USS Gillespie (DD-609) was named for him,[3] as was Gillespie Field airport in El Cajon, California.[4]



This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.

Further reading

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.