World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Arabs in Bulgaria

Article Id: WHEBN0020619467
Reproduction Date:

Title: Arabs in Bulgaria  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Arab diaspora, Immigration to Bulgaria, Arab Mexican, Ethnic groups in Bulgaria, Lebanese diaspora
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Arabs in Bulgaria

Arabs in Bulgaria
Араби в България
العرب في بلغاريا

Bashar Rahal
Regions with significant populations
Sofia, Plovdiv, Varna, Burgas
Arabic language
Bulgarian language
Islam and Christianity
Related ethnic groups
Arab people, Arab diaspora, Arab American, Arab Argentine, Arab Brazilian, Arab Canadians, Arab Mexican

Arabs in Bulgaria (Bulgarian: Араби в България, Arabic: العرب في بلغاريا‎) are the people from Arab countries, particularly Lebanon, Syria, the Palestinian Territories, Iraq, and Jordan and also small groups from Egypt, Algeria, Tunisia, Morocco, Libya and Sudan, who emigrated from their native nations and currently reside in Bulgaria. Most Arab Bulgarians are of Lebanese or Syrian origin, because they were the first Arabs to arrive in Bulgaria. The first Arabs came to Bulgaria in the late 1960s and early 1970s as students in Bulgarian universities. In the over forty-year history of this community, 11,400 Arabs have migrated to Bulgaria.[1] According to other data from two teams of anthropologists and sociologists, the number of Arabs in Bulgaria who are legal residents and officially have work permits was 17,000 in 2004. (the number 17,000 includes not only Arabs but also Kurds, Iranians, Afghans, Berber and others.)[2] [3]

In addition, Bulgaria has people from Arab countries, who have the status of refugees (refugees of the Syrian civil war, but only 10% of them are Syrian Arabs, the other 90% of them are Syrian Kurds[4]) or illegal immigrants (Algerians of mainly Berber descent and usually mistakenly called Arabs) trying to immigrate to Western Europe.

Notable people

See also


  1. ^
  2. ^ [1]
  3. ^ [2]
  4. ^ 90% от бегълците от Сирия са кюрди
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.