World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Alisal, Pleasanton, California

Article Id: WHEBN0034298745
Reproduction Date:

Title: Alisal, Pleasanton, California  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Rancho Santa Rita (Pacheco), Alameda County, California, Brookshire, California, Alden, California, Carpenter, California
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Alisal, Pleasanton, California

Alisal, or El Alisal (The Sycamores), was a Californio settlement located on the lands of the Rancho Santa Rita near the site of an Indian ranchera, around the Francisco Solano Alviso Adobe, called El Alisal (The Sycamores),[1] one of the earliest houses built in the Livermore Valley in 1844.

Alisal, nicknamed "The Most Desperate Town in the West",[2] was one of the settlements located along La Vereda del Monte that was a haunt and refuge of bandits and desperados in the era following the beginning of the California Gold Rush. Main Street shootouts were not uncommon. Banditos such as Claudio Feliz and Joaquin Murrieta would ambush prospectors on their way back from the gold fields and then seek refuge in Alisal. In the 1860s and 1870s Procopio, Narciso Bojorques and others took refuge there.[3]

During the period of the railroad boom in the late 1860s, Rancho Santa Rita was sub divided. In 1869 J.W. Kottinger and J.A. Neal each laid out and plotted a subdivision for a new town called Alisal, situated about five miles south of Dublin. By 1878 the village was an unincorporated town of about 500 people.

Alisal was later included within Pleasanton, California that was founded in 1894.

Notes

  1. ^ Francisco Solano Alviso Adobe, California State Historic Marker Number 510, The Historical Marker Database, accessed January 6, 2012
  2. ^ Patricia Soito, A hundred years of Pleasanton, "The most desperate town in the West", Phillips & Van Orden Co., San Francisco, 1949
  3. ^ John Boessenecker, Lawman: the life and times of Harry Morse, 1835-1912, University of Oklahoma Press, Norman, 1998, p.4, 26-28, 30, 32-33, 57, 59, 76-77, 81, 88, 159


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.