World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Wilhelmsdorf, Bavaria

Article Id: WHEBN0011457894
Reproduction Date:

Title: Wilhelmsdorf, Bavaria  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Wilhelmsdorf
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Wilhelmsdorf, Bavaria

For other uses, see Wilhelmsdorf (disambiguation).
Wilhelmsdorf

Coat of arms
Wilhelmsdorf
Wilhelmsdorf

Coordinates: 49°34′N 10°43′E / 49.567°N 10.717°E / 49.567; 10.717Coordinates: 49°34′N 10°43′E / 49.567°N 10.717°E / 49.567; 10.717

Country Germany
State Bavaria
Admin. region Central Franconia
District Template:Link if exists
Municipal assoc. Template:Link if exists
Subdivisions 6 districts
Government
 • Erster Bürgermeister Werner Friedrich (CSU)
Area
 • Total 7.69 km2 (2.97 sq mi)
Elevation 348 m (1,142 ft)
Population (2012-12-31)[1]
 • Total 1,427
 • Density 190/km2 (480/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 91489
Dialling codes 09104
Vehicle registration NEA
Website www.wilhelmsdorf.de

Wilhelmsdorf is a village in the district of Neustadt (Aisch)-Bad Windsheim in Bavaria in Germany.

Wilhelmsdorf was established by Huguenots. The village was named after the sovereign ruler George William, Margrave of Brandenburg-Bayreuth, who refuged them. The Huguenot tradition is still a part of the village history. Sermons in the local Lutheran church were held in French until around 1900.

In the 19th century Wilhelmsdorf was well known for their stocking-weavers. In 1903 the first compass factory was established. In the 20th century several competing compass factories were located at Wilhelmsdorf. Now Wilhelmsdorf has a compass museum.

Wilhelmsdorf should not be mistaken for Wilhermsdorf, a village 15 km away.


Boroughs

  • Wilhelmsdorf
  • Ebersbach
  • Oberalbach
  • Stadelhof
  • Trabelshof
  • Unteralbachermühle


Politics

Municipal council

The municipal council has 12 members:

(last municipal election on 3 March, 2002)



References

External links

  • Compass museum Wilhelmsdorf
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.