World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Villa Contarini

Article Id: WHEBN0008482276
Reproduction Date:

Title: Villa Contarini  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Padua, Andrea Palladio, Brenta (river), Province of Padua, House of Contarini, Palladian villas of Veneto, Piazzola sul Brenta, Domenico I Contarini
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Villa Contarini

Coordinates: 45°32′38″N 11°47′07″E / 45.543858°N 11.785262°E / 45.543858; 11.785262 (Villa Contarini)


Villa Contarini is a patrician villa veneta in Piazzola sul Brenta, province of Padova, northern Italy. The villa is in Baroque style and is backed by a 40 ha park with lakes and alleys.

The central building was begun in 1546 under commission by the Venetian patricians Paolo and Francesco Contarini. Controversial is the attribution of the design to the famous architect Andrea Palladio. This first edifice was later enlarged in the late 17th century by Marco Contarini.

History



The magniloquent baroque appearance that the Villa Contarini displays today is, in all probability, the result of the seventeenth-century transformation of a villa designed by Andrea Palladio in the 1540s for Paolo Contarini and his brothers. The attribution is not certain and there were made also the names of Vincenzo Scamozzi and of Baldassare Longhena.

Traces of palladian work linger on in maps and archival documents, although little is now visible of a building which was transformed in several campaigns from 1662 on. In 1676 the right wing was enlarged and remodelled, with a two-storey order of rustic columns and telamons, and a program of ostentatious sculptural decoration which invades the principal villa block too.

The chapel is one of the most important works designed by Tommaso Temanza.

A map of 1788 shows that by that date the porticoed hemicycle defining the great piazza already existed.

Images

See also

Sources

  • Villa Contarini in CISA website (source for the first revision of the historical section, with kind permission)

External links

  • Official website (Italian) ((English) abstract)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.