World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article


Article Id: WHEBN0010203259
Reproduction Date:

Title: Uehlfeld  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Joseph Wolff, Dachsbach, Neustadt (Aisch)–Demantsfürth-Uehlfeld railway
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia



Coat of arms

Coordinates: 49°40′N 10°43′E / 49.667°N 10.717°E / 49.667; 10.717Coordinates: 49°40′N 10°43′E / 49.667°N 10.717°E / 49.667; 10.717

Country Germany
State Bavaria
Admin. region Mittelfranken
District Template:Link if exists
Municipal assoc. Template:Link if exists
Subdivisions 13 Ortsteile
 • Mayor Werner Stöcker (CSU)
 • Total 31.23 km2 (12.06 sq mi)
Elevation 278 m (912 ft)
Population (2012-12-31)[1]
 • Total 2,861
 • Density 92/km2 (240/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 91486
Dialling codes 09163
Vehicle registration NEA

Uehlfeld is a municipality in the district of Neustadt (Aisch)-Bad Windsheim in the administrative region of Middle Franconia in northern Bavaria in Germany.


Uehlfeld is located in the valley of the Aisch. The neighbouring municipalities are (from the north in clockwise direction): Lonnerstadt, Höchstadt an der Aisch, Weisendorf, Dachsbach, Gutenstetten, Münchsteinach and Vestenbergsgreuth. The municipality has 12 boroughs: Demantsfürth, Egelsbach, Eselsmühle, Gottesgab, Hohenmühle, Nonnenmühle, Peppenhöchstädt, Rohensaas, Schornweisach, Tragelhöchstädt, Voggendorf und Wallmershof.


Uehlfeld[2] was probably founded in the 6th century, at the time Francia expanded to the east and so took possession of the Aischgrund. It is likely that one of the seven Slavonian churches founded by Charlemagne within the Aischgrund stood in Uehlfeld.

The first documented notice of Uehlfeld is from 1123. The village was named Oulentevelt. Later the name changed to Ulletenvelt (1127), Uelevelt (1154), Ulfeldium (1158) or Ulefelt (1181).

Like other villages, Uehlfeld was devastated by several great fires. The last of them occurred in 1888.

Wars have left their marks on Uehlfeld. In the German Peasants' War (1524–1525) the village's castle was destroyed. In the Second Margrave War (1552) the boroughs of Nonndorf and Rothenberg were destroyed and were not rebuilt. The Thirty Years' War left its mark with the actions of Colonel Kehraus,[3] whose troops raided and burned the village.

In 1649 Veit-vom-Berg was assigned pastor of the village. He was born in 1612 in Baudenbach. He held his inaugural speech in front of 31 persons (10 men, 15 women and 6 children), the last inhabitants after a time full of privation. Before the war Uehlfeld had 600 inhabitants. Veit-vom-Berg died in Uehlfeld in 1675. Today the elementary and secondary schools and a street are named after him.

The number of inhabitants did not again reach 600 until the mid-19th century. Until this time many Jewish salesmen came as new citizens to Uehlfeld. So trade and business developed. The Jews built up a synagogue, opened a school and a graveyard, the tombstones of which are still to be seen today.

The former headmaster of the elementary and secondary schools, Karl Schmer, compiled the history of Uehlfeld into three almanacs, which can be purchased from the municipality office.

Economics and Infrastructure

Several companies have their head office in Uehlfeld. There are also two breweries, one of them founded in 1639, which makes it the oldest brewery in the Aischgrund.

Federal highway B 470 is directed from north to south through the community area.

From July 12, 1904, until May 30, 1976, there wa a railway from Neustadt (Aisch) to Demantsfürth-Uehlfeld called Aischtalbahn which lead to the railway Nuremberg Würzburg. It was broken down and since then only busses connect Uehlfeld with the surrounding areas. The lines belong to the pay scale area of VGN.


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.