World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Umpqua (ATA-209)

Article Id: WHEBN0026865971
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Umpqua (ATA-209)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: USS Umpqua
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Umpqua (ATA-209)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Umpqua.
Panama Canal, circa May–June 1945. Navy SeaBees turned YFD-6's center section on its side and installed a thousand pontoons atop the wing wall to allow the drydock to float on its side during the canal transit.
Career (USA)
Name: USS Umpqua (ATA-209)
Builder: Gulfport Boiler and Welding Works, Port Arthur, TX
Laid down: 16 December 1944
Launched: 2 February 1945
Commissioned: USS ATA-209, 2 April 1945
Renamed: USS Umpqua (ATA-209), 16 July 1948
Decommissioned: 1 July 1971
Struck: 1 July 1971
Fate: transferred to Colombia, 1 July 1971.
Career (Colombia)
Name: ARC Bahia Honda (RM-74)
Acquired: 1 July 1971
Fate: lost in 1975
General characteristics
Class & type:
Displacement: 534 t. (Long tons)
835 t. Full load
Length: 143 ft (44 m)
Beam: 33 ft (10 m)
Draft: 13 ft (4.0 m)
Propulsion: diesel-electric engines, single screw
Speed: 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph)
Complement: 45
Armament: • 1 × single 3"/50 caliber gun
• 2 × twin 40 mm AA guns

USS Umpqua (ATA-209), originally designated ATR-136, was laid down as ATA-209 on 15 December 1944 at Port Arthur, Texas, by Gulfport Boiler and Welding Works; launched on 2 February 1945; and commissioned on 2 April 1945, Lt. Paul L. Cortney, USNR, in command. She was the third United States Navy ship named for the Umpqua tribe of American Indians.

Following shakedown in the Gulf of Mexico, ATA-209 reported on the last day of April to Service Force, Atlantic. On 19 May, the auxiliary ocean tug departed New Orleans towing YF-756. She steamed via the Panama Canal and San Diego to Hawaii, arriving at Pearl Harbor early in July.

She operated on towing assignments between the Hawaiian Islands and the Marshalls until October when she set her course via San Francisco and the Panama Canal for Charleston. Arriving on 27 November, she reported to the Commandant, 6th Naval District, for duty; and, in April 1946, she was permanently assigned to that command. On 16 July 1948, she was named Umpqua.

Her primary job was that of towing ships, barges, and gunnery targets. She also participated in rescue and recovery operations. Her routine duties were performed mostly along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts and in the Caribbean, and they occasionally took the tug as far north as Nova Scotia. In the 1950s, she took part in calibration of radio navigation systems; and, in the 1960s, she assisted in oceanographic operations towing MONOB I, the Bureau of Ships' mobile sound lab, to study sites in the Caribbean. In 1965, she varied her duties with the retrieval of a Titan III rocket booster in support of NASA tests. On two occasions, she towed old Liberty ship hulls loaded with unserviceable ammunition to a disposal area in the Atlantic where the ammunition was detonated, and the hulls were sunk.

In July 1967, Umpqua was transferred to the Service Force, Atlantic Fleet, and was assigned to Service Squadron 8. Umpqua continued her towing duties, assisting disabled and damaged naval vessels. Occasionally, she participated in torpedo recovery and mine-planting in conjunction with exercises of various Atlantic Fleet units. In May and June 1970, she towed Darby and Tweedy — formerly DE-218 and DE-532, respectively — to sea for use as targets for destruction.

In 1971, as her career with the United States Navy drew to a close, Umpqua took part in Operation Springboard one last time and made one of her longest tows when she pulled ammunition ship USS Great Sitkin (AE-17) 120 miles to Puerto Rico after the ship had gone dead in the water at sea. In June 1971, Umpqua began training a Colombian Navy crew in preparation for the transfer of the tug. On 1 July, she was decommissioned; her name was struck from the Navy list; and she was turned over to the government of Colombia under the Military Assistance Program.

ARC Bahia Honda (RM-74)

Sold to Colombia on 1 July 1971, the ship served in the Armada Nacional Colombiana as ARC Bahia Honda (RM-74). She ran aground in 1975 and was subsequently scrapped.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • (ATA-209)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.