World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Stallion (ATA-193)

Article Id: WHEBN0026798334
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Stallion (ATA-193)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Stallion (disambiguation)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Stallion (ATA-193)


USS Stallion (ATA-193) underway, date and location unknown.
Career (USA)
Name: USS Stallion (ATA-193)
Builder: Levingston Shipbuilding Co., Orange, TX
Laid down: 26 October 1944
Launched: 24 November 1944
Commissioned: 1 February 1945
Decommissioned: 1 September 1946
Renamed: USS Stallion (ATA-193), 16 July 1948
Reclassified: Auxiliary Fleet Tug ATA-193, 15 May 1944
Recommissioned: 19 July 1949
Decommissioned: October 1969
Struck: 10 June 1997
Fate: active in the Dominican Republic Navy as Enriquillo (RM-22)
General characteristics
Class & type:
Displacement: 534 t.(lt) 835 t.(fl)
Length: 143 ft (44 m)
Beam: 33 ft (10 m)
Draft: 13 ft (4.0 m)
Propulsion: diesel-electric engines, single screw
Speed: 13 knots (24 km/h; 15 mph)
Complement: 45
Armament: one single 3"/50 dual purpose gun mount
two twin 30mm AA gun mounts
For other ships of the same name, see USS Stallion.

The second Stallion was laid down on 26 October 1944 at Orange, Texas, by the Levingston Shipbuilding Co. as ATA-193; launched on 24 November 1944; and commissioned on 1 February 1945, Lt. Allen Oliver in command.

The tug completed shakedown along the Gulf coast out of Galveston, Texas, between 11 February and 2 March. On the following day, she towed Army barges to New Orleans and, after a five-day stay, got underway for the Panama Canal. ATA-193 arrived in the Canal Zone on 17 March and departed on 3 April. She reached San Diego on 25 April and Pearl Harbor on 17 May. On the 29th, she continued west and stopped at Eniwetok, Saipan, and Guam, before reaching Okinawa on 11 July. The tug served at Okinawa with Service Squadron 10 until 29 July. She headed via Saipan to Pearl Harbor and arrived on 24 August. Six days later, ATA-193 sailed west again, stopped at Saipan and Okinawa, and returned to Pearl Harbor on 24 October.

She remained there until 1 March 1946; then got underway for San Diego where she arrived on the 20th. Eight days later, ATA-193 sailed for Panama. She transited the canal between 14 and 17 June and continued on to Jacksonville, Florida, then to New Orleans and Orange, Tex., arriving on 13 August 1946. She decommissioned there on 1 September 1946. ATA-193 was named Stallion in July 1948 and remained inactive at Orange as a unit of the 16th (Reserve) Fleet until 19 July 1949, when she was recpmmissioned, Lt. A. E. Belch in command. She was assigned to the Commander, Hydrographic Survey, to operate in the Persian Gulf. After short visits to Norfolk and New York, the tug got underway for the Mediterranean on 1 October 1949. Stallion spent 27 of the next 32 months operating in the Mediterranean Sea and the Persian Gulf. In addition to Kuwait, Bahrain, and Aden, she visited Port Said, Suez, and Karachi during her tour in the Middle East. Stallion returned to Norfolk on 29 May 1952.

For the next three years, the tug was administratively assigned to the 5th Naval District but was operationally controlled by the Naval Ordnance Laboratory (NOL), White Oak, Maryland She operated out of Fort Monroe, Virginia, and Port Everglades, Florida, assisting NOL in ordnance evaluation tests. On 7 March 1955, Stallion was reassigned to the 6th Naval District administratively, but remained under the operational control of NOL. She operated primarily out of her new home port, Port Everglades, Fla., in conjunction with the Naval Ordnance Test Facility located nearby. She participated in mine evaluation tests conducted in the Bahama Islands and along the coast of Florida, particularly around Panama City and Fort Lauderdale.

On 22 May 1959, Stallion came under the operational control of the 6th Naval District. Although she continued to be associated with the projects of the Naval Ordnance Test Facility at Fort Lauderdale, her participation came to be more on a single project basis with the tug concentrating more often on duty for the naval district. On 1 July 1967, Stallion's homeport was changed to Charleston, South Carolina, and she spent increasingly greater portions of her time engaged in ocean towing, off-shore salvage, and rescue salvage operations. On 1 October 1968, Stallion was placed in reduced operational status at Charleston.

Stallion was decommissioned at Norfolk, Va., in October 1969 and joined the Atlantic Reserve Fleet. In December of 1970, she was transferred to the custody of the Maritime Administration but remained under Navy ownership. She was finally transferred to the Dominican Republic under the Security Assistance Program and renamed Enriquillo (RM-22).

ATA-190 earned one battle star for World War II service.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • NavSource Online: Service Ship Photo Archive USS Stallion (ATA-193)
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.