World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

USS Lucid (MSO-458)

Article Id: WHEBN0006019065
Reproduction Date:

Title: USS Lucid (MSO-458)  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Lucid
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

USS Lucid (MSO-458)

For other ships of the same name, see USS Lucid.

Career (US)
Laid down: 16 March 1953
Launched: 14 November 1953
Commissioned: 4 May 1955
Decommissioned: unknown date
Struck: 15 May 1976
Homeport: Long Beach, California
Fate: sold for scrap, 30 December 1976, for $40,250
General characteristics
Displacement: 775 tons
Length: 172 ft (52 m)
Beam: 36 ft (11 m)
Draft: 12 ft (3.7 m)
Propulsion: four Packard ID1700 diesel engines, replaced by four Waukasha Motors Co. diesels, two shafts, two controllable pitch propellers
Speed: 14 knots
Complement: 65
Armament: one 40mm mount

USS Lucid (AM-458/MSO-458) was an Aggressive-class minesweeper acquired by the U.S. Navy for the task of removing mines that had been placed in the water to prevent the safe passage of ships.

The second warship to be named Lucid by the Navy, AM-458 was laid down by Higgins Inc. Shipyard, New Orleans, Louisiana, 16 March 1953; launched 14 November 1953; sponsored by Mrs. Mary J. Barrow; reclassified MSO-458 on 7 February 1955; and commissioned 4 May 1955, Lt. J. H. Graham in command.

First WestPac tour of duty

After shakedown in the Caribbean, Lucid sailed for the Pacific Ocean, arriving Long Beach, California, 22 August. For the next 13 months, she performed minewarfare exercises on the U.S. West Coast, then sailed on her first western Pacific tour 1 October 1958.

Four additional Far East tours

During the period 1956 to 5 November 1963, Lucid sailed on four WestPac cruises and while there performed operations with the mighty U.S. 7th Fleet. This bastion of strength in the Far East served notice to the Communists that America would not tolerate threats to the peace and stability of the free countries of Asia. In addition to exercises with the 7th Fleet, the minesweeper participated in good will programs in the countries she visited. The time between WestPac cruises was spent in mine countermeasure exercises off the southern California coast

Supporting Market Time operations

Throughout 1964 Lucid continued training exercises off the U.S. West Coast, then departed Long Beach 5 April 1965 on her fifth WestPac cruise. Arriving Subic Bay, Philippine Islands. 24 May, she prepared for Operation Market Time off the coast of Vietnam. From June to October the minesweeper continued patrol and surveillance of Vietnamese Junk traffic. She boarded a total of 186 Junks and steel-hulled ships, and contributed to a reduction of enemy infiltration of men and supplies by sea. Lucid returned to Long Beach 14 December and operated off the southern California coast until May 1966 when she commenced overhaul at Harbor Boat Building Co., San Pedro, California.

WestPac deployment after 1966 overhaul

In October 1966, having completed her overhaul, Lucid prepared for another WestPac deployment. She departed Long Beach on 6 January 1967. Lucid served once again with the Market Time forces, performing surveillance and search duties, as well as hunting mines in the harbors of South Vietnam On 16 October 1967, she departed Subic Bay, homeward bound after a long but rewarding deployment Lucid arrived at Long Beach on 18 November. Following a brief overhaul period, and refresher training, she sailed for WestPac 1 April. Along with patrol duty off the Vietnamese Coast and upkeep periods at Subic Bay and Singapore, Lucid conducted minesweeping exercises with Allied Navies. Returning to Long Beach in mid-October, the minesweeper began a yard period where she remained into 1969.

Decommissioning

Lucid was struck from the Navy List on 15 May 1976 and sold for $40,250 for scrap in a Navy sale in November. The scrap yard removed valuable metals and equipment and resold her. After passing through numerous civilian owners, Lucid was acquired for use as a museum.

In November 2011, it was announced that Lucid will be moving to Stockton, California for further restoration; she will be moored at a pier of the former Naval Reserve center on Monte Diablo Avenue and plans are being made to move it to downtown Stockton.

On 15 March 2012, USS Lucid was dedicated at a ribbon cutting ceremony presented by the Stockton Historical Maritime Museum and the San Joaquin Building Futures Academy. Lucid is currently located at the "Building Futures Academy" site where students will participate in the restoration of the ship. Once restored, the ship will be open for the public for tours and special events, and will be moved to the historic shipbuilding area near Weber Point in Stockton.[1]

The Near Future

Upon return to its original appearance, Lucid will be moved to become a representative part of the historic downtown waterfront area near Weber Point, where over a thousand boats and ships were built, beginning in the 1850s and ending in the 1980s. There, the Museum Lucid will become a permanent icon, open to the public for tours and special events. She will serve to honor Stockton's maritime and shipbuilding history, the men and women who labored there, Former and Active Duty Navy, those who served aboard the small vessels that were a large part of the United States Navy.

References

  • This article incorporates text from the here.
  • http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20111104/A_NEWS0803/111040325&cid=

External links

  • USS Lucid MSO-458 Foundation
  • USS Lucid (MSO-458)
  • HNSA Web Page: USS Lucid
  • NavSource Online: Mine Warfare Vessel Photo Archive – Lucid (MSO-458) – ex-AM-458

Coordinates: 38°05′26″N 121°40′20″W / 38.090598°N 121.672361°W / 38.090598; -121.672361

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.