World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Taylor Institution

Article Id: WHEBN0000727115
Reproduction Date:

Title: Taylor Institution  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages, University of Oxford, Martyrs' Memorial, Oxford, L. F. Powell, William Ralston Shedden-Ralston, Libraries of the University of Oxford
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Taylor Institution

Taylor Institution
The Taylor Institute seen from the Martyrs' Memorial
Country United Kingdom
Type Academic library
Established 1845
Location St Giles', Oxford
Coordinates
Other information
Director James Legg
Website Taylor Institution Library
Taylorian is located in Oxford city centre
Taylorian
Location of the Institution in central Oxford

The Taylor Institution (commonly known as the Taylorian) is the Oxford University library dedicated to the study of the European Languages. Its building also includes lecture rooms used by the Faculty of Medieval and Modern Languages, University of Oxford. Since 1889 a prestigious Annual Lecture on a subject of Foreign Literature has been given at the Taylorian Institution.

It was established in 1845, funded largely by a bequest from the estate of the notable architect Sir Robert Taylor (1714–1788).

The Institution and its Library are found in the east wing of a neo-classical building, constructed by Charles Cockerell to accommodate the Institution and the Randolph Galleries (now the Ashmolean Museum), located at the southern end of St Giles'. There is a building in Wellington Square which houses the Institution's Greek and Slavonic annexe.

The library serves, for the greater part, those studying for the degree of Bachelor of Arts, for the various Master's degrees, and for the D Phil. The contents of the building on St. Giles' focus on the Western European languages, most notably on the French, German, Italian, Spanish, and Portuguese languages (including the South American Spanish language and the Brazilian Portuguese language) with a total of around five hundred thousand volumes. The Greek and Slavonic annexe consists of European languages found further eastward, including the Greek, Slavic (including Russian), Uralic, and Albanian languages.

References

External links

Media related to at Wikimedia Commons

  • Taylor Institution Library
  • Brief history of the Taylorian building


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.