World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Richwood Hall

 

Richwood Hall

Richwood Hall
Richwood Hall is located in West Virginia
Richwood Hall
Location Charles Town, West Virginia
Coordinates
Built 1829
Architect Unknown
Architectural style No Style Listed
Governing body Private
NRHP Reference # 73001911
Added to NRHP June 19, 1973[1]

Richwood Hall, also known as Richwoods, is a house near Thomas Fairfax, 6th Lord Fairfax of Cameron and subsequently gave to his brother, Samuel Washington. It was Samuel's son, Lawrence Augustine Washington, who built or moved into the house with his bride, Mary Dorcas Wood, in 1797. This original house now forms a wing of the present enlarged house. The Washingtons lived at Richwoods until 1802, when they sold the property to Smith Slaughter. By 1829 the house had been enlarged, either by Slaughter or his successor, Joseph Shewater. In any case, materials, including bricks and carved wood were imported from England.

At the time of the American Civil War the property belonged to John R. Flagg. Forces under the command of General Jubal A. Early fired from Richwood Hall at Union forces under Sheridan at Locust Hill. [2]

References

  1. ^ "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places.  
  2. ^ "National Register of Historic Places Nomination: Richwood Hall" (pdf). National Park Service. October 6, 1972author=Ted McGee. 


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.