World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Promenade deck

Article Id: WHEBN0000460661
Reproduction Date:

Title: Promenade deck  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: MS Kungsholm (1952), Carnival Fascination, RMS Etruria, SS Kommandøren, MS Augustus (1950)
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Promenade deck

RMS Olympic's promenade deck
Promenade deck aboard TSS Fairsky.

The promenade deck is a deck found on several types of passenger ships and riverboats. It usually extends from bow to stern, on both sides, and includes areas open to the outside, resulting in a continuous outside walkway suitable for promenading, (i.e., walking) thus the name. The term is thought to be derived from the Swedish word promenaddäck.

On older passenger ships, the promenade deck was simply the top outside deck below the superstructure, and was enclosed by a railing. Lifeboats are typically kept on davits accessible from the promenade.

On a Mississippi riverboat, the promenade deck is the second deck, or floor, up from the waterline, above the main deck, and below the Texas deck.

On modern cruise ships with superstructures as high and broad as the hull, the promenade deck is often largely enclosed, with railing-lined "cutouts" and wooden decking to recall the old days. The promenade may be used for jogging as well as walking, and signs indicate the mileage.

Centerline promenade

Many cruise ships and cruiseferries built by Aker Finnyards and its predecessor Kvaerner Masa-Yards have a wide, multi-deck promenade running along the center-line of the ship through most of the superstructure, also referred to as a horizontal atrium. This allows the majority of cabins on the upper decks to have a window, either to the port or starboard side or to the promenade. This design was first used in the cruiseferries M/S Silja Serenade and M/S Silja Symphony, built in 1990 and 1991, respectively.

References

External links

  • Video clips of various Promenade Decks
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.