World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Music Centre, Christchurch, New Zealand

Article Id: WHEBN0024094402
Reproduction Date:

Title: Music Centre, Christchurch, New Zealand  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Catholic Cathedral College
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Music Centre, Christchurch, New Zealand

The Music Centre in Barbadoes Street in 2007

The Music Centre of Christchurch is a facility for music organisations in the central city of Christchurch, New Zealand. It was established in 1994 and provides office, rehearsal, tuition and performance space for a wide range of music groups. The centre is adjacent to the Cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament and now consists of a group of four heritage buildings formerly the convent of the Sisters of Our Lady of the Missions and Sacred Heart College, a Catholic secondary school for girls founded in 1881 which was amalgamated with Xavier College, a neighbouring Catholic boys' school to form Catholic Cathedral College in 1987.

The chapel, built in 1907, by Joseph Munnings, Samuel Hurst Seager and Cecil Woods, is the primary performance space. It is the only example of Byzantine revival architecture in the Southern Hemisphere. The three-storey main convent building, designed in 1882 by Francis Petre is the oldest building in the complex. It was opened in 1894. The Portery was added in 1902 to extend the convent. It was restored with the girls’ boarding hostel for Sacred Heart College, constructed in 1930. Both buildings became part of the music centre in 2004

The buildings were badly damaged in the 22 February 2011 Christchurch earthquake. Two of the centre's four buildings sustained significant earthquake damage. The three-storey main building has been demolished,. It is hoped that the music centre will reopen on the existing site. The school had about 800 students attending weekly classes taught by 80 teachers at the Music Centre and the adjacent Catholic Cathedral College. Those classes were now being held at Christchurch Boys' High and Rangi Ruru.[1]

Notes

  1. ^ 12 April 2011, TVNZ website.Part of Chch music centre to be razed (retrieved 25 January 2012)

Sources

  • History of the centre


This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.