World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Morgan-Bedinger-Dandridge House

Article Id: WHEBN0018323185
Reproduction Date:

Title: Morgan-Bedinger-Dandridge House  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Shepherdstown, West Virginia
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Morgan-Bedinger-Dandridge House

Morgan--Bedinger--Dandridge House
Morgan-Bedinger-Dandridge House
Nearest city Shepherdstown, West Virginia
Coordinates

39°25′37″N 77°48′43″W / 39.42694°N 77.81194°W / 39.42694; -77.81194Coordinates: 39°25′37″N 77°48′43″W / 39.42694°N 77.81194°W / 39.42694; -77.81194

Architectural style Classical Revival, Georgian
Governing body Private
NRHP Reference #

83003239

[1]
Added to NRHP May 13, 1983

The Morgan-Bedinger-Dandridge House, also known as Poplar Grove, then Rosebrake, is part of a group of structures affiliated with the Morgan's Grove rural historic district near Shepherdstown, West Virginia. The house was known as Poplar Grove until 1877. The original building was built circa 1745 by Richard Morgan, and became known as the "Back Building". In 1803 the house was expanded by Daniel Morgan with a two-story brick structure, known as the "Great House". Formal gardens were added at this time.

In 1859 the present main portion of the house was built by Caroline Bedinger, widow of Henry Bedinger. During her ownership the house was occupied by Colonel Alexander R. Boteler, a former U.S. Representative who, at the outbreak of the American Civil War became a Confederate officer. After the war, while Boteler was living at Poplar Grove, President U.S. Grant appointed Boteler to the U. S. Centennial Commission. Caroline's daughter, Danske Bedinger Dandridge, a noted poet, changed the name of the house to "Rosebrake" in 1877.

A portico was added to the house in 1950, removed from a house on Long Island and shipped to West Virginia.[2]

References

External links

  • Historic American Building Survey ("Rose Break" or "Dandridge House")

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.