World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Morgan's Grove

Article Id: WHEBN0018322862
Reproduction Date:

Title: Morgan's Grove  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Shepherdstown, West Virginia, Alexander Boteler
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Morgan's Grove

Morgan's Grove
Morgan's Grove
Nearest city Shepherdstown, West Virginia
Coordinates

39°25′4″N 77°48′45″W / 39.41778°N 77.81250°W / 39.41778; -77.81250Coordinates: 39°25′4″N 77°48′45″W / 39.41778°N 77.81250°W / 39.41778; -77.81250

Built 1775
Architectural style Georgian, Greek Revival
Governing body Private
NRHP Reference # 99000286
Added to NRHP March 19, 1999[1]

Morgan's Grove is a rural historic district near Shepherdstown, West Virginia. The area is noted for its abundant springs. Several historic houses and farms are included in the district, including:

  • Rosebrake, or Poplar Grove, built in 1745, with dependencies including a barn and outbuildings
  • Falling Spring, circa 1831-1837, with dependencies. The nearby woods were a Civil War encampment. Belonged to Jacob Morgan and his son William.
  • Old Stone House and springhouse, circa 1734, belonged to the original settler and family partiarch, Richard Morgan.
  • Springdale circa 1760, home of Richard Morgan's son William, and dependencies. "Morgan Fort" was located on this property.
  • Fountain Rock in Morgan's Grove Park with the foundations of the Fountain Rock house, burned in 1864 by Federal troops.

Richard Morgan bought lands in 1730 that included much of present-day Shepherdstown. In 1734 he received one of the first grants of 500 acres (2.0 km2) from Lord Fairfax, selling some land to Thomas Shepherd, who founded Shepherdstown. During the French and Indian Wars, Morgan was active in raising troops from the area.

During the American Revolutionary War, local men began drilling in Shepherdstown, and two companies of riflemen were organized in July 1775 at the request of the Continental Congress. By this time, William Morgan was a colonel in the Continental Army, and, under Morgan's command, the troops began the Bee-Line March on July 17, 1775, marching from Morgan's Grove to Boston in 24 days, covering 600 miles (970 km). The troops joined George Washington's forces on August 11, 1775, and were the first units from the South to join the fight.

During the Civil War a number of Confederate and Federal units camped in the area, including General John B. Gordon and General George Armstrong Custer in the Valley Campaigns of 1864. About this time, Fountain Rock, which was then owned by Confederate Colonel Alexander Boteler, was burned by Federal troops under General William Tecumseh Sherman.

By the late 19th century the area was used as a fairground, with its own siding off the Shenandoah Valley Railroad. The Fountain Rock property was purchased by the Morgan's Grove Agricultural Association in 1889. In 1900 William Jennings Bryan, then candidate for President, gave a speech to a crowd estimated at 15,000. Fairs were held until 1931, when the land was sold and the structures were torn down.[2]

A portion of the site is now a county park.

References

External links

  • Historic American Building Survey ("Rose Break" or "Dandridge House")
  • Historic American Building Survey ("Falling Spring" or "Steptoe House")
  • Historic American Building Survey

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.