World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Illesheim

 

Illesheim

Illesheim
Coat of arms of Illesheim
Coat of arms
Illesheim   is located in Germany
Illesheim
Illesheim
Coordinates:
Country Germany
State Bavaria
Admin. region Mittelfranken
District Neustadt a.d.Aisch-Bad Windsheim
Municipal assoc. Burgbernheim
Subdivisions 4 Ortsteile
Government
 • Mayor Heinrich Förster
Area
 • Total 21.43 km2 (8.27 sq mi)
Elevation 321 m (1,053 ft)
Population (2013-12-31)[1]
 • Total 928
 • Density 43/km2 (110/sq mi)
Time zone CET/CEST (UTC+1/+2)
Postal codes 91471
Dialling codes 09841
Vehicle registration NEA
Website www.illesheim.de

Illesheim, founded 1283 AD, is a municipality in the district of Neustadt (Aisch)-Bad Windsheim in Bavaria in Germany. The earliest leader affiliated with Illesheim's foundation was Götz von Berlichingen, known as "the Knight with the Iron Hand." Also known locally as "Illesa". It lies 6 kilometers west of Bad Windsheim and 11 kilometers east of the A7 motorway.

Illesheim has one train station, a stop on the Regionalbahn system. Its Rathaus (townhall) is open Wednesday afternoons and has some interesting historical items. This small town adjoins the northwestern edge of the U.S. Army's Storck Barracks and the Illesheim AAF, a U.S. Army helicopter airfield. The airfield previously belonged to the Luftwaffe until its capture in 1945.

Illesheim is primarily an agricultural town. The even smaller hamlet of Urfersheim sits to its southeast, adjoining the opposite side of the airfield.

On Illesheim's crest (in German, Wappen), the Wheel represents Illesheim at the center with the five wheel spokes pointing toward other smaller neighboring communities linked to the town Illesheim. The knife above represents Saint Bartholomew, who is the patron saint for the church in neighboring Urfersheim. The cross represents Saint Gumbertus, the patron saint for the church in the hamlet of Westheim (southeast of Urfersheim).

References

  1. ^ "Fortschreibung des Bevölkerungsstandes".  
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.