World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Herron-Morton Place Historic District

Article Id: WHEBN0013373789
Reproduction Date:

Title: Herron-Morton Place Historic District  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Garfield Park (Indianapolis), List of Indianapolis neighborhoods
Collection:
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Publication
Date:
 

Herron-Morton Place Historic District

Herron-Morton Place Historic District
Talbott Street in the southwestern part of the district
Herron-Morton Place Historic District
Location Roughly bounded by Central Ave., 16th, Pennsylvania, and 22nd Sts., Indianapolis, Indiana
Coordinates

39°47′34″N 86°9′9″W / 39.79278°N 86.15250°W / 39.79278; -86.15250Coordinates: 39°47′34″N 86°9′9″W / 39.79278°N 86.15250°W / 39.79278; -86.15250

Area 147 acres (59 ha)
Built 1822
Architect Multiple
Architectural style Classical Revival, Queen Anne, Tudor Revival
Governing body Local
NRHP Reference # 83000131[1]
Added to NRHP June 16, 1983

Herron-Morton Place is a historic district in Indianapolis, Indiana, dedicated to restoration and renewal. The boundaries of the neighborhood are East 16th Street on the south, East 22nd Street on the north, the alley west of North Pennsylvania on the west, and the alley east of Central Avenue on the east.

History

In 1859, the state purchased the land largely undeveloped, as a home for the Indiana State Fair.

At the start of the American Civil War, the area was used first as an induction center for Indiana volunteers and later as a prisoner of war camp, named Camp Morton. After the war, Indiana reclaimed the fairgrounds and used them until 1890. The area was then platted for residential use and home construction began. The neighborhood thrived until the Great Depression.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the district directly north of 16th Street was one of Indianapolis’ most elegant residential neighborhoods. Morton Place, named for Indiana governor Oliver Morton, was home to many celebrated politicians, physicians, business leaders, and artists. Indiana artists T. C. Steele and William Forsythe founded their famed art school in 1888 in the same area. The school was reorganized in 1902, when John Herron bequeathed funds to build a new building and museum. The John Herron School of Art is the state’s premier art school.

Throughout this time, through World War II, many homes were divided into apartments. Throughout 1950-1970, many homes were lost to fire and demolition.

In 1983, HMP was listed on the National Register of Historic Places and became a historic preservation district in 1986.

Community

Since 1950, Herron-Morton Place has hosted the Talbot Street Art Fair, an annual juried art fair held on Talbott Street in June of each year. The Herron-Morton Place Neighborhood Association was formed in 1976 to spearhead the renovation of home, encourage new residential development, reduce crime, and rebuild community spirit.

The Herron-Morton Place Neighborhood Foundation raises funds to maintain a historic neighborhood park (located on the 1900 block of Alabama Street) and other beautification efforts throughout the neighborhood. The Foundation plans several events each year that raise money for the neighborhood park, most notable are the annual Oktoberfest in late September and bi-annual home tour.

References

External links

  • Herron-Morton Place Neighborhood Website
  • Travel Itinerary
  • Indianapolis Historic Preservation Commission
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.