World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Emerald-class cruiser

Article Id: WHEBN0003549752
Reproduction Date:

Title: Emerald-class cruiser  
Author: World Heritage Encyclopedia
Language: English
Subject: Leander-class cruiser (1931), Queen Elizabeth-class battleship, C-class cruiser, R-class destroyer (1916), Courageous-class aircraft carrier
Publisher: World Heritage Encyclopedia

Emerald-class cruiser

HMS Emerald
Class overview
Name: Emerald class
Operators:  Royal Navy
Preceded by: Danae class
Succeeded by: Leander class
In commission: 1926–1948
Planned: 3
Completed: 2
Cancelled: 1
Retired: 2
General characteristics
Type: Light cruiser
  • 7,580 tons standard
  • 9,435 tons full
Length: 570 ft (173.7 m)
Beam: 54.5 ft (16.6 m)
Draught: 16.5 ft (5.0 m)
Installed power: 80,000 shp (60,000 kW)
Speed: 33 knots (61 km/h; 38 mph)
  • 1,350 nautical miles (2,500 km; 1,550 mi) at 32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph)
  • 8,000 nautical miles (15,000 km; 9,200 mi) at 15 knots (28 km/h; 17 mph)
Endurance: 1,746 tons fuel oil
Complement: 572
  • Original configuration:
  • Sides
    • 3 in (76 mm) amidships
    • 2.5–1.5 in (64–38 mm) bow
    • 2 in (51 mm) stern
  • Deck: 1 in (25 mm)
Aircraft carried: 1 × aircraft (later removed)
Aviation facilities: 1 × catapult (later removed)

The Emerald class or E class was a ship class of two light cruisers built for the Royal Navy. Following the Cavendish class, three ships of a new class were ordered in March 1918, towards the end of World War I, designed to emphasise high speed at the cost of other qualities, for use against rumoured new high speed German cruisers - like the Brummer class - and particularly minelayers, in the North Sea. However, the third ship was cancelled in November 1918.


  • Design 1
  • Modifications 2
  • Ships 3
  • Service history 4


The E class were based on the preceding Danae class, but had a very high ratio of length to beam and only one more gun, despite being much bigger and more expensive. Much was sacrificed to achieve 33 knots (61 km/h; 38 mph), the horsepower was doubled and the hull increased by 100 ft (30 m) in length, with a 50% increase in displacement. Only two ships were built, and completed in 1926. Four propellers were necessary for the increased power and were driven from two engine rooms. There were four boiler rooms, nos. 2 and 3 being arranged side-by-side with the exhausts trunked into a common funnel. The magazines were between boiler rooms nos. 2 and 3 and the forward engine room, and between boiler room no. 4 and the after engine room. This led to a bizarre funnel arrangement, accentuated further when in 1935 a longer catapult required the mainmast to be stepped forward of the after funnel, and the funnels were heightened by 5 ft (1.5 m).

In the early 1930s Enterprise was fitted with a prototype twin 6-inch (150 mm) turret in place of her two forward single mounts; and with trials of the turret proving successful it was retained on Enterprise for the rest of her career. The turret design was later installed in the Leander, Amphion and Arethusa classes. The turret installation occupied less space than the superimposed 'A' and 'B' guns of Emerald, therefore the bridge was placed further forward. The bridge was of a new design, being a single block topped by a director tower, rather than the traditional platforms built around the foremast and wheelhouse topped with a spotting top. This design of bridge would appear in the County-class cruisers.

Notwithstanding their age and outlandish appearance these two ships were still the fastest cruisers in the Royal Navy at the outbreak of World War II, Emerald exceeding 32 knots (59 km/h; 37 mph) in a full-power trial at full load in 1939. Both cruisers also carried the heaviest torpedo armament of any Royal Navy cruiser - four quadruple mounts. These cruisers had a long range, unlike the C and Danae-class cruisers, making them valuable for patrolling the sea lanes against Axis merchant raiders. They were also large enough that they could accommodate significant additions to their anti-aircraft armament as well as modern radar suites.


Hawker Osprey K5749 on Enterprise‍ '​s catapult in May 1936

In the mid-1930s both ships were fitted with a catapult which replaced the out-moded flying-off platform and had HACS Mk.I added for the 4-inch (100 mm) guns, which was fitted amidships between the searchlight platform and the after funnel. The funnels were raised 5 ft (1.5 m) at this time. Later proposals to increase the AA outfit by the addition of twin 4-inch and multiple 2-pounder guns were thwarted by the outbreak of war. Emerald had received two quadruple .5 machine guns before the war, then during refit between August 1942 and April 1943 she landed the after 6 in, two 2 pdr singles and the .5 machine guns to receive instead six power-operated twin 20 mm and two quadruple 2 pdr guns and radars Type 273 (centimetric target indication), 281 (air warning), 282 (pom-pom ranging) and 285 (HACS ranging). In April 1944 six 20 mm single mounts were added and the catapult was removed.

Enterprise landed two 6 in singles in 1941 and had one quadruple 2 pdr fitted. She later had four single 20 mm fitted and then, in the course of a long refit between the end of December 1942 and October 1943, she lost the single 2 pdr and 20 mm weapons, receiving six twin power-operated mountings in lieu. The two 6 in were reinstated and a second quadruple 2 pdr fitted. She was fitted with radars Type 272 (centimetric target indication), 281, 282, 284 (6 inch gun ranging), and 285. In February she had an additional four single 20 mm fitted and the catapult was removed.


Pennant Name Builder Laid down Launched Commpleted Fate
D66 Emerald Sir W. G. Armstrong, Whitworth and Company, Elswick 23 September 1918 19 May 1920 Chatham Royal Dockyard, January 1926 Sold for breaking up 23 June 1948.
D52 Enterprise John Brown and Company, Clydebank 28 June 1918 23 December 1919 Devonport Royal Dockyard, April 1926 Sold for breaking up 11 April 1946.
Euphrates Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company, Govan 1918 cancelled 26 November 1918.

Service history

Like the Cavendish class, they were mainly employed on the ocean trade routes, also seeing fleet service in the

This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.

Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.