World Library  
Flag as Inappropriate
Email this Article

Van Wickle Gates

 

Van Wickle Gates

Outer view of the Van Wickle Gates. Manning Hall and University Hall can be seen in the background.

The Van Wickle Gates at Brown University are the ornamental entrance to the main campus area at the corners of College Street and Prospect Street in College Hill. The gates were built with donations by Augustus Stout Van Wickle (Class of 1876), who was the president of a bank and several coal corporations. Dedicated on June 18, 1901, the gates stand as a symbol for the campus and its long history. [1]

The gates are made of wrought iron, with brick and stone piers. The larger main gate is flanked by two smaller side gates. The top of the gate is crowned with the Brown University shield. The sides of the gates include inscriptions by Cicero.[1] The side gates remain open throughout the year, while the center gates remain closed except for two occasions each year. At the beginning of the academic year, the center gates open inward to admit students during Convocation. At the end of the second semester, the gates open outward for the Commencement Day procession.

See also

References

  1. ^ a b Mitchell, Martha. (1993). "Van Wickle Gates." Encyclopedia Brunoniana
This article was sourced from Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike License; additional terms may apply. World Heritage Encyclopedia content is assembled from numerous content providers, Open Access Publishing, and in compliance with The Fair Access to Science and Technology Research Act (FASTR), Wikimedia Foundation, Inc., Public Library of Science, The Encyclopedia of Life, Open Book Publishers (OBP), PubMed, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information, U.S. National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health (NIH), U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, and USA.gov, which sources content from all federal, state, local, tribal, and territorial government publication portals (.gov, .mil, .edu). Funding for USA.gov and content contributors is made possible from the U.S. Congress, E-Government Act of 2002.
 
Crowd sourced content that is contributed to World Heritage Encyclopedia is peer reviewed and edited by our editorial staff to ensure quality scholarly research articles.
 
By using this site, you agree to the Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. World Heritage Encyclopedia™ is a registered trademark of the World Public Library Association, a non-profit organization.
 


Copyright © World Library Foundation. All rights reserved. eBooks from Project Gutenberg are sponsored by the World Library Foundation,
a 501c(4) Member's Support Non-Profit Organization, and is NOT affiliated with any governmental agency or department.